What application for accurate model painting, and starter resources

Next
Hi all. Now I've finally been able to buy MoI (yay!) I can get going on some models. Of course, I've hit a couple of questions immediately :-)

I'm trying to recreate this kind of platform for a game:

When I created the flat portion I 'cheated' and used a trim to split the top into three so that I could assign the white material for the edge. This works, but is it 'the right way'? It feels like it's going to fail me when I have to do something complicated. Is there a recommended (indie-developer price friendly) tool for doing this sort of non-freehand, precise model painting on exported objects?

The other issue I had was trying to create the ramp, because I tried lofting the outline of the platform to a reduced-size copy. It works, but of course the white edge also shrank. I think I'm sorted with this now as I've separated the edges from the platform and I'm going to bend them along rails to the shape I want.

Learning to not have things be one object if they don't need to be seems like it might be a key bit of learning for MoI - are there any recommended 'best practices for newcomers to NURBS modelling' things out there to get a leg-up on that kind of knowledge?
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8369.2 In reply to 8369.1 
Hi Morat.

Based on my experience I can say that an excellent companion for Moi is 3D-Coat!

Very efficient for precise painting, retopo and uv-ing.

Give it a try!

See you.

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
if you want just make a render image for 0 buck Simlab Composer Light (maxi 1920 *1080)
is an easy cool one! (takes any format of files)
http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/simlab-composer-freelicensee.php#lite
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8369.4 In reply to 8369.3 
Thanks both. Got it in game now, looking good (for a work in progress)...

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8369.5 In reply to 8369.1 
Hi Morat, well it's not "cheating" if it does what you need!

If it's a structured area that you want to have as a separate material than cutting your model at that spot is a good way to do it.

> Learning to not have things be one object if they don't need to be seems like it might
> be a key bit of learning for MoI - are there any recommended 'best practices for newcomers to
> NURBS modelling' things out there to get a leg-up on that kind of knowledge?

Well, unfortunately there isn't just one single universal rule for whether it's good to have things as one object or not, it really depends on the particular situation and the specific goals for how the model will be used. There are some tips here for people coming from a polygon modeling background: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2 and those are mostly tips about doing the reverse - trying to build a model as an initial larger piece and then removing some material doing booleans rather than trying to always model everything in a smaller "patch by patch" type method (which people coming from a poly modeling background usually tend to do since they've trained themselves to avoid booleans)

But there are cases where making things in separate pieces is better suited for the particular task at hand. That's why both ways are supported, and there are tools like Trim and Join that do allow you to work at an individual surface level. But when it's possible to work with objects as larger chunks at the solids level using booleans instead of Trim & Join, it usually saves time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All