Point snapping on curve / Zoom on Point

Next
Hi,

I wonder which is the best way to ensure that a point has been snapped on a curve. So far I found out that deactivating "Straight snap" and "Snap on" in the snap menu enables the proper snapping.

To control correct snappings, zooming into the area where points and curves are meant to meet in one point is often necessary. I do this with the Area zoom but very often I have to repeat drawing the area zoom rectangle several times to get really close. So here my question if there is a way to automatically get the maximal close up/ zoom factor to a selected point ?

EDITED: 18 Mar 2017 by SIRTOM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8350.2 In reply to 8350.1 
Hi Tom, well if you see the "End" snap tag show up around the point that's the way you can know it's for sure snapped onto the end. If there are several endpoints of different curves in that same vicinity, that's when it can be good to zoom in a bit. There isn't exactly such a thing as a "maximal zoom", if you zoom in too far it can cause a lot of display artifacts though where you see things kind of jump between locations, that's because of the limited precision of floating point math that's done on the computer.

But give this script a try on a shortcut key:

script: /* zoom in a lot on the picked point */ var p = moi.ui.createPointPicker(); if ( p.waitForEvent() && p.event == 'finished' ) { var v = moi.ui.getActiveViewport(); v.targetPt = p.pt; if ( v.projection == 'Parallel' ) { v.fieldOfViewAngle = v.fieldOfViewAngle / 250.0; } }

That should zoom in quite a ways on the next picked point. If you adjust the number 250 there to be larger like say 300 or 400 that will zoom in closer, reduce it to zoom in less.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8350.3 In reply to 8350.2 
Hi Michael and thanks a lot for this useful little script.

Just added to my current "tool chest" :)

See you.

- Marco (mkdm)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8350.4 In reply to 8350.2 
Appreciate your help Michael, thenk you very much !!

My issue with snapping points in curves is not at the ends of curves but in between the ends
where I often find out that just a little gap is the cause that following loft or network commands
wont work.

So this new script is really a great little helper !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All