MoI Configuration of .ini to Optimize for MS Surface Pro4

Next
Michael (or other tablet/Surface Pro 4 users):

I have been using MoI for about five years now, for a wide variety of tasks (mainly hobby use). I have done this using a traditional laptop. MoI is without question the the best program that I own, and I use it daily - sometimes all day. I can't say enough good about it.

I recently purchased a i5 Surface Pro 4 that I would like to use with MoI, but I am not quite sure how best to configure the .ini settings to achieve all of the features (panning, rotate, etc.) that go along with using a tablet PC. I looked at the multi-touch options, but modifying them does not seem to give me the same results as the laptop.

Is there a list of settings that should be modified in the .ini file to achieve laptop features on a tablet?

Thank you.

Tom the SpindleJockey
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for posting Tom. As a recent purchaser of a Surface Pro 4 as well, I'd also like to know if there are any suggestions on how to best use MoI with it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8328.3 In reply to 8328.1 
Hi Tom, there isn't really any set of moi.ini settings to configure - for using a tablet there is an alternate set of viewport navigation tools in the viewport toolbar that's underneath every viewport, this one here:

Those buttons allow for pan, rotate, or zoom using just a press and drag of the stylus without needing to use different buttons or key combinations. They are more sensitive than the regular mouse button controls so you only need to move the stylus a small distance to make the view change happen. So for example to rotate press the stylus down on the Rotate button and move it a little bit to the left and right.

But you don't need to do anything special to enable these controls, they are enabled by default, they are just an alternate way to do navigation in addition to things like middle mouse button drag, right mouse button drag, scroll wheel, and multi-touch.

Maybe I didn't understand what it is that you're trying to set up though.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8328.4 In reply to 8328.3 
Thanks, Michael.

I was aware of the viewport navigation tools, but I was thinking there might be more features related to multi-touch navigation that would allow for model rotation using two or three fingers, much like I have seen in YouTube videos using other tablets (with perhaps, other software).

Changing the multi-touch parameters in the .ini file for MoI does not see to provide the multi-touch capabilities that I thought might be possible. I could be that I am not using the feature correctly with the Surface Pro 4?

Either way, I can get the job done using the viewport navigation tools, with some retraining and some time.

Thank you for your assistance.

Tom the SpindleJockey
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8328.5 In reply to 8328.4 
Hi Tom, is this the video that you had seen? :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_rfaVmmH8

It is possible to set it up like that, there are some notes here on different multi-touch options:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5774.7

> Changing the multi-touch parameters in the .ini file for MoI does not see to provide the
> multi-touch capabilities that I thought might be possible. I could be that I am not using
> the feature correctly with the Surface Pro 4?

Hmmm, I'm not sure. What is it that you're trying to do that isn't working?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8328.6 In reply to 8328.5 
Thanks, Michael.

The information in 5771.1 (V3 beta Mar-17-2013 available now = . . . "Multitouch view navigation") provides a great deal of information about how to properly use and configure the multi-touch features. I vaguely remember seeing this a few years ago (obviously, prior to getting a tablet). I'll try some of these settings and techniques and see if I find what I need.

After quickly perusing your first post within this thread, I can see some things that might be useful to try.

Thanks again!

Tom the SpindleJockey
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All