Generating screenshot with grid
All  1  2-11

Previous
Next
8318.2 In reply to 8318.1 
Hi Brendan it would probably help if you could also post the 3DM model file with your grid lines and object in it.

One thing that you're probably running into is a difference in scale when you export the objects individually like that. When you export from a perspective view, the 2D final result will be scaled to fit within the PDF printed page boundaries. Probably your grid lines are much larger in size than your object, and so there's a large difference between them when they are each individually fit to the same end 2D printed page space.

But you can export a mix of solids and curves with the PDF export, try exporting your grid and your object all together in one single export instead of individually. You might need to cut off your grid some more and not have it extend too far around the object.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8318.3 In reply to 8318.2 
Hi Michael,

I've uploaded a quick test example. When selecting everything it does output a more predictable result, but the grid lines are considered visible lines and become an obstruction on the model. I was hoping to either have control over the grid line style or be able to put them on a separate layer in Photoshop somehow. Is there any way to give the viewport a visible appearance like the PDF export? Wireframe view would be fine but everything has the same line weight.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8318.4 In reply to 8318.3 
Hi Brendan, you'll probably get better layer control in Photoshop using AI format for the transfer, since AI has the concept of layers in it. PDF has a thing called "optional content groups" which MoI will use, but I don't think that it will get interpreted as layers when read in.

Then when you do the export, push the "Line style options" button and for the "Visible lines" row set the Layer to be "From Style", then if you have grid lines assigned to their own style that should come through as a layer in Photoshop.

Let me know if that still doesn't do what you need.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8318.5 In reply to 8318.4 
Thanks for the info Michael. I just followed your directions and I ran into a different problem. Photoshop is giving me an error with the AI file: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop was unable to parse the PostScript." I also tried to open it in Inkscape, but also ran into a load error. Is there some issue with the MoI export file? I've attached the MoI scene and the AI file if you have time to take a look.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8318.6 In reply to 8318.5 
Hi Brendan, I can't seem to find anything wrong with your file, do you have Illustrator available to test loading into it? MoI writes an older AI v8 type of file which Inkscape does not know how to read, Inkscape can only read newer versions which are the same as PDF format.

Are you able to organize things in Photoshop by color or lineweight instead? If so then you could use PDF format. I'm traveling for this next week and so it's a little difficult for me to examine your file in detail with other programs, I can check it in more detail like loading it into Illustrator next week.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Inkscape can load older AI 8.0 files from MoI, as you can see in my screenshot.
It requires to install UniConvertor or pstoedit, if i remember correctly.
It's long ago since i installed those two programs, so i'm not sure
which one is responsible for allowing Inkscape to load the older AI format.

Regards
Stefan
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8318.8 In reply to 8318.7 
Hi Stefan, that's right I seem to remember something about that now. It doesn't do it "out of the box" though.

Do you know where you go to find the Inkscape plug-ins to get that set up?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

i got them from here:

https://sk1project.net/modules.php?name=Products&product=uniconvertor&op=download

http://www.pstoedit.net

I have read also that the Windows vers. of Inkscape already has UniConvertor support.

Best regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8318.10 In reply to 8318.9 
Hi Stefan,

The Windows version (I've tried with 0.92 rev1 32 bits) of Inkscape will effectively import AI 8 files but we first have to install uniconvertor-1.1.5-win32 from the link you provided.
After installing, it is necessary to apply a patch to connect Uniconvertor to Inkscape.
The patch installation intructions will be in c:\ Program Files (x86)\sK1 Project\uniconvertor-1.1.5\docs\about-patch.html
After that, it will be possible to directly import (select Import - File Type : Adobe Ilustrator 8 and previous) to Inkscape without errors.

Thanks to Michael for remembering it and to Stefan for this link !
It saves from first opening in AI to convert it.

Michel
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi Michel,

for Mac users they have to compile the source code for UniConverter, but no Inkscape patch was needed, as far as i remember.

Regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-11