Zoom | UpDown -> LeftRight

Next
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could edit my .ini file to get the Zoom tool (Alt + Right Click) to increase and decrease using the "LeftRight" axis as oppose to the "UpDown" axis?

All clues appreciated.

Thanks

-J
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8294.2 In reply to 8294.1 
Hi Berube, sorry there isn't any setting in the moi.ini file right now to control that particular thing.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8294.3 In reply to 8294.2 
Ok thanks Micheal.

-J
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8294.4 In reply to 8294.1 
If you can remind me about it again when v4 betas are going, I can put in an option for it then.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8294.5 In reply to 8294.4 
Ok will do!

It mainly came from the habit of using other popular software like Maya, Nuke and Marvelous Designer, in which I loaded a Maya config for all of them. This way they all play ball the same.

I was able to get MOI to play 99% the same, except for the ZOOM LeftRight.

Not a show stopper, but a small paper cut when bouncing back and forth from other programs.

Thanks a lot!

-Berube
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I'm hoping very passionately that V4 will get full customization options for navigation (zoon, pan and orbit fully assignable to custom keyboard keys and mouse buttons, and reversable in direction). It would help a great deal in a seamless transition between MoI and other tools, as you're navigating at least half of the time you spend in an editor, and muscle memory keeps bothering you when you've just used other navigation controls for a couple of hours.

Thanks,

— Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) models • animation • characters • icons • illustration • infographics • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8294.7 In reply to 8294.6 
Hi Metin,

re:
> I'm hoping very passionately that V4 will get full customization options for navigation
> (zoon, pan and orbit fully assignable to custom keyboard keys and mouse buttons,
> and reversable in direction).

The thing that makes this kind of difficult is that there are already numerous ways set up to do these, so it would be kind of complicated to have options for every single method.

For example you can pan with middle mouse button drag, or with Alt+shift+LMB (for compatibility with Maya), or with shift+RMB (for compatibility with Rhino).

Also rotation is already reversible with a checkbox option under Options > View > Rotate/Pan/Zoom options > "Reverse right-click rotate" checkbox.

If you could be more specific about how you wish the navigation would work (like which key combo and mouse button you wish you could use for zoom,pan,and orbit) it would make it more likely I'd be able to do something about it.

The other area that can be problematic about assigning anything to these actions is they could then conflict with actions that do other editing operations like selection or other things in the future.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8294.8 In reply to 8294.7 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I understand your arguments.

Personally, I frequently switch between MoI, ZBrush, Blender and Keyshot. Each tool has its own navigation shortcuts, which is cumbersome. ZBrush and Keyshot don't offer options to customize the navigation, while MoI does offer a number of options. The only tool that allows full navigation customization right now is Blender, so I've adjusted those to match Zbrush:

RMB = orbit
Control + RMB = zoom
Alt + RMB = pan

MoI's current customization options make me come very close to matching those in ZBrush as well, but not entirely. I also find it a bit confusing that the perspective view needs Shift to pan, while the orthographic views don't.

As a last note, ZBrush has an interesting alternative option that combines zooming and panning using only one modifier key, which I use more and more lately. It works like this: holding Control + RMB zooms, but as soon as you release the Control key, you enter panning mode. It takes some exercise to get used to it, but once you're used to it, it works very efficient, allowing you to keep your finger on only one key for both zooming and panning.

Best regards,

— Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) models • animation • characters • icons • illustration • infographics • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8294.9 In reply to 8294.8 
Hi Metin,

> RMB = orbit
> Control + RMB = zoom
> Alt + RMB = pan

So are you set for orbit and zoom right now? Or do you need the zoom to be a left/right motion instead of up/down?

Right now Alt+RMB is set up as another way to do zoom, for Maya compatibility. If you remind me about this once v4 betas are going, I can put in an option for Alt+RMB to do pan instead of zoom.

Also you mentioned reversing - which thing is it that you need reversed?

> I also find it a bit confusing that the perspective view needs Shift to pan, while the orthographic views don't.

That's because a plain RMB is set up for orbiting the 3D view, but the orthographic views don't do orbiting. But instead of just doing nothing for RMB in an ortho view it's an additional way to do pan. I don't think I've ever seen a quad view in ZBrush, they probably don't have the same concept as a dedicated 2D view as in MoI?

> As a last note, ZBrush has an interesting alternative option that combines zooming and panning using only
> one modifier key, which I use more and more lately. It works like this: holding Control + RMB zooms, but
> as soon as you release the Control key, you enter panning mode. It takes some exercise to get used to it,
> but once you're used to it, it works very efficient, allowing you to keep your finger on only one key for both
> zooming and panning.

Hmmm, that's interesting but it sounds probably a little too fancy to set up in MoI. I guess if I were to do it I'd probably think about it slightly different, like "tap" the ctrl key (press it and then release it) would make the next plain RMB drag following it to do pan while holding down ctrl + RMB doing zoom.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8294.10 In reply to 8294.9 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your elucidation.

I'll remind you about the Alt + RMB option for panning when V4 is ready for testing, many thanks in advance.

The reverse option I meant was for the zoom direction and is already there, sorry for my unclear formulation. I meant to say that the option should remain intact. :)

Your variation of the ZBrush one-modifier-key double-action sounds good too. But I can imagine it can become confusing, and doesn't fit the straightforwardness you've successfully kept intact for MoI controls.

— Metin

———————

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All