Origin point off when exporting?

Next
I've decided to make a game with the Unity3D game engine and MOI as my 3D modelling software. I've run into an issue with object origin points when imported into Unity (either as FBX or OBJ). In the image below I've chained 3 of a single piece of model together using an inverse kinematics library. Note that the blue line with 3 dots represents the 'bones' of the chain and they're well outside the models themselves.

In the screenshot I exported the model (it's a piece of a leg of a robot) individually from the rest of the robot pieces. If I try to export them by selecting them all in MOI and exporting then the origin point for all of them becomes the geometric center of all of the objects that make up the robot.

I imported into Blender and one by one told it to reset the origin point of each piece and then exported and that imported into Unity correctly... Is there something I can do in MOI to avoid that tedious work?

http://danielquaroni.com/t/ccdikConfusion.jpg
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
8248.2 In reply to 8248.1 
Hi Supagoat, there isn't any concept in MoI of an object having a local origin like that, and there isn't any mechanism in .obj format for representing it either. If you need to set it to something in particular I think you'll have to do it in a poly modeling program like you've been doing, and not use .obj format for the transfer out from there.

Usually there should be a way to select everything and then run one command which can do it to all objects in one action instead of needing it to be done one at a time, maybe try the Multi Edit Blender add-on mentioned here: http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/15137/is-there-a-simple-way-to-change-the-origin-point-of-a-lot-of-objects-at-once

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All