Out to SIGGRAPH
All  1-4  5-13

Previous
Next
824.5 In reply to 824.4 
Ooops, I forgot to bring my camera.... Maybe someone else will have one.

There isn't a whole lot to see to take pictures of anyway though, just a table with a computer on it, a simple poster in the background with the moai lightbulb guy.

I've updated the moi3d.com main page with some different screenshots though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Day one of the SIGGRAPH exhibition was really great! Got a chance to demo MoI for many people who had not seen it before, seems like there were quite a few new converts. :) One Architect kept coming back, he said it was the most interesting thing in the whole show for him.

The only problem is my throat is a bit sore from talking so much. Hopefully that will recover before the next onslaught tomorrow.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
824.7 In reply to 824.6 
I'm so happy for you, Michael, and I guess everybody in this forum is!! And I can't help sympathizing with the guy that kept coming back! To me MOI was one of the coolest discoveries of the year, it has literally put the turbo to my productivity (I'm an industrial designer). I consider myself a pretty advanced Rhino user, yet now, when I'm past the sketching stage, I fire up MOI and I can get a 3D visualization of my sketch in no time.
This is the real strongpoint of the app, its ease of use. Most of the times you don't miss the stratospheric features of other programs.
Keep up the good work (and hurry up with the finishing touches lol)!!
Daniele
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
824.8 In reply to 824.7 
Thank you so much Daniele, I am really happy that MoI is useful for your design work!

It's kind of interesting - there is some connection between ease of use and modeling speed, and speed is definitely something that is useful to advanced users.

I've been hearing more and more from advanced users who like MoI for this reason. Like you mention, it's particularly nice in the early stages of working on something.

The focus on ease of use in some ways makes for tricky marketing becuase a lot of people assume that something that focuses on ease of use is also only a tool for beginners.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
SIGGRAPH day 2 was also very interesting.

Met a lot more people, did a 30 minute demo for a Japanese group who brought their own translator along who translated in real time as I talked, that was cool.

There is definitely a trend of expert designers who have access to every fancy tool available being interested in MoI due to its modeling speed in creating simple things.

Got a lot of positive comments from people who like the direction that MoI is headed in, since it is different from the direction that other CAD programs are focused on.

Having a lot of fun, but getting a bit worn out!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
824.10 In reply to 824.8 
Michael wrote:
"The focus on ease of use in some ways makes for tricky marketing becuase a lot of people assume that something that focuses on ease of use is also only a tool for beginners."

... till they see what this tool for beginners is capable of and how things get speed up. MoI has the right approach and this information will spread. Just my two cents.

Chris
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
824.11 In reply to 824.10 
Hi Michael

I am one of the techy geeks you talk about.

I am curious about were your software will go to.

We are having an eye on it here at Kendall College in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Claas

--
C l a a s E i c k e K u h n e n
Artist : Designer : Educator

Assistant Professor Industrial Design
Kendall College of Art and Design

www.ckbrd.de
info@ckbrd.de
715 309 9795
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
This sounds great it's going so well for you at Siggraph Michael :) it must feel good to see and hear people who never used Moi before getting inspired by it and coming back for more info all the time. That's a positive sign in the right direction.

Hope all goes well the rest of Siggy, and get us some photos! :)

/ Magnus
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
824.13 In reply to 824.11 
Hi Claas, you wrote:

> I am curious about were your software will go to.

Well, I think the main focus will always be primarily on quick modeling of Industrial Design type shapes.

Quite a bit is guided by user feedback and requests - I don't really have a 100% completely formalized plan.

At some point in the future I would like to add some stuff related to communicating design information in addition to creating the geometry for a design - by this I mean some basic rendering, annotations and dimensions, ...

In the future I'd also like to incorporate some more 2D illustration features as well. In many ways I am interested in stuff that combines elements both from CAD / accurate engineering as well as illustration / graphic design.

But there is still a lot of ground to cover just in the area of modeling...

Some parts of the program will evolve rather slowly, as I'm much more interested in making a fluid and nice UI rather than just jamming in as many features as possible.

> We are having an eye on it here at Kendall College in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

If you are interested in using it in your curriculum, just let me know and I will set you up with an academic site license when it is ready.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-13