How would you model this?
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
8213.2 In reply to 8213.1 
I don't believe that you can in one shot directly from your curve!

Maybe like this ? The Flow Construct / Flow

Rectangle
Fillet
Extrude
Rotate
Line
Curve
Flow

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8213.3 In reply to 8213.1 
Hi dune1982, well the wireframe there is ambiguous, there are 2 ways you could have a bent shape from that, either like this:

Or like this:

In either case, I'd recommend leaving the corners at the ends to be sharp initially, then build the base shape with Extrude, then thicken the extruded joined surface object into a solid using Construct > Offset > Shell (or you can Offset the curve and have the thickened shape right from the initial Extrude), then doing the rounded corners at the ends by selecting the end edges and using Construct > Fillet:

Right now you've made things more difficult by trying to incorporate all the final rounded edges in your wireframe from the start, it's easier to generate some of those rounded edges by using filleting rather than having them in your initial curves. Often times with NURBS modeling it's good for some portions of your final model to be built by cutting away material by booleans or in this case fillets, rather than trying to draw every single curve in the final model right from the start. The curves you want to draw are the ones that will make an initial simplified extended piece of base material.

Hope that makes sense!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank you Michael and PILOU,

@Michael
you are right, I didn't see the other option for a bended shape. But what I need is the second option. So now I know there is no way to do it with a single command.

I modeled the whole shape with a few extrusions and offsets, at the end a boolean union. Done in a minute.

Again thanks for the Hints
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael crossing! :)
Or like this ?

Copy Curve
Trim
Keep some Parts and increase size of straigth segments
Extrude
Trim
Shell
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8213.6 In reply to 8213.4 
Hi dune1982, you're welcome! It is actually possible to do this with one single command, having the curves configured like this, with these 2 lines as the profile curves and the other curves joined up as rails:

With that configuration it's also possible to use Network or also Loft between the top and bottom ones to do it in one command.

However, all of these "do it in one command" options will generate a lower quality result because it's not good to have a surface corner that has tangent edges in it as you will get here, the natural definition of the surface normal at such areas becomes poorly defined. It's better for a rounded corner of a surface to be done by having a square cornered surface that has trim curves on it instead of that.

Usually when there's almost any kind of irregularity to a boundary (like edges tangent, having a complex edge with zig-zags or whatever), it's usually best to have an extended simple base surface that is then trimmed to the boundary rather than trying to generate the initial surface directly to that boundary.

@Pilou - yes that's another possibility, it's just more convenient to use a method that uses fewer curves to do the job.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6