Fillet issue

Next
Hello everyone!

I have some issues when doing some modeling in Moi.

Issue 1:
I have that red marked edge, that doesn't allow me to make that fillet wider. Can I remove/move that edge? Or do something else to fix that ?

Issue 2 :
Sometimes after Fillet op, I getting that bad result - whe 2 edges are NOT connected to each other. That brings some issues and looks not cool. Is there way to fix it? Sometimes Separate=>Delete=>join helps, but not in this case

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.2 In reply to 8196.1 
In order for anyone to help, a .3dm file would be helpful.
- Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.3 In reply to 8196.2 
attaching file
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.4 In reply to 8196.1 
Hello skyground,

#1 = Yes, you can rebuild that face with the seam edge to be a continuous surface and then the seam wont be there to limit the results.

#2 = Well, and arc on 2 different angled walls will have a different endpoint, by nature. Try selecting the "constant distance" option for filleting that edge.

But "looks not cool"? Usually "seams on surfaces" are not anything that affect anything. Just a function of surfacing.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.5 In reply to 8196.1 
Hi Skyground, for your #2 it's like Burr mentions above, that's how filleting works in CAD programs. Fillets in CAD are usually done by setting a radius value for the radius of the arc between surfaces. When surfaces are at a sharper or shallower angle to each other they will have a longer or shorter length of arc in those spots. Usually to have things meet up better you would also need to fillet the vertical edge as well rather than leaving that sharp. Then the fillets will stop a little earlier and have a corner juncture patch to connect them up rather than having the fillet surfaces directly collide into each other like you're currently doing.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.6 In reply to 8196.1 
Hi Skyground, for your issue #1 removing those edges, it tends to be a lot easier to get rid of those earlier on in your modeling process rather than after a lot of stuff has been done. You basically need to use the Rebuild command (http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#rebuild) on a multi-segmented curve to make its segments fuse together, then when you construct a solid or do a cut with that fused curve it will only generate one face rather than one face for each curve segment.

In an already constructed model it's more difficult to remove it, in your case here you'd need to delete the faces, select the 2 bottom edges of that area, join those together to make a segmented curve, run rebuild on the segmented curve to fuse it into a single segment, extrude that single segment to make a single face, trim the face to the surrounding edges, and then join it into place. I've attached a file where I've done that.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.7 In reply to 8196.6 
Thank you very much guys!

Now its almost clear for me.
But its little bit hard any way, because I came from hipoly polygon modeling like this https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dGVOx
Moi3d is so great to do some stuff in free time or on trip on windows tablet ( best 3d app for tablet! )

Michael Thank you very much!
But I can't replicate what you gave )) After join+rebuild I got 1 single separate curve. The doing extrude and got 1 face, but dont understand how to "weld" it to the shape that I have.
I'm looking some video tutorials, maybe I missed something.

EDITED: 26 Nov 2016 by SKYGROUND

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.8 In reply to 8196.7 
Replacing the face with a sweep.

I used "Merge" on the breaks created by the original surfaces. I could have just "joined" rails and profiles and used actual curves for the same thing.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.9 In reply to 8196.7 
Hi Skyground,

re:
> But I can't replicate what you gave )) After join+rebuild I got 1 single separate curve. The doing
> extrude and got 1 face, but dont understand how to "weld" it to the shape that I have.

You have to use Edit > Trim to cut off the excess area of the new extrusion so that it has an outer trim boundary that matches the edges you want to join it to.

Select the new single face extrusion:

Run the Edit > Trim command, at the prompt to select cutting objects select these 2 edges (there's a little curved one at the top there), then right-click:

Now the Trim command will slice up the surface by the cutting objects and show you the pieces it made. Select this as the piece to discard and right-click again to finish the Trim command:

You'll now have a piece that is ready to be glued back in again using Edit > Join :

There are some tips here for people coming from a poly modeling background, they may be useful:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4865.2

Hopefully at some point in the future you would not need to worry about this and filleting would not get stuck when it tries to cross over one of the other edges in the model but right now that can cause a lot of problems. Also I do want to add in a face merging tool that would make it easier to merge together 2 adjacent faces when possible.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Helllo!

Thank you BurrMan for tutorial! It works for me now)

Thanks Michael, it's more clear now for me. But still needs more time and practice to get it this type of workflow, after poly modeling

So, I fixed that places on my model. But after trying to apply same method to another parts, I faced with another issue: that new surface doesn't weld with geometry.

On screenshot - I marked hole in my mesh, and after trying to fix that on the right side ( and it didn't work) and after reopen file I get this wierd issue.
If I'm selecting and delete that surface, I get that (second screen shot). And Its hard to fix - some edges couldn't be deleted or separated.
I attached model file.
Thank you very much guys for help.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.11 In reply to 8196.10 
Hi Skyground, when you get that kind of stuff it usually means there is some kind of error in the trimming boundary of a surface, stuff like the trimming boundary is made up of edges that have a gap between them instead of touching end to end, or the boundary is self intersecting with edges crossing over each other. I'll take a look at your model and try to see what's going on there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.12 In reply to 8196.10 
Hi Skyground, one of the surfaces in that area doesn't seem to have a fully closed trim boundary on it:

I'll see if I can get it tuned up for you.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.13 In reply to 8196.12 
There's also another couple ones where the trim boundaries are way far off from the actual underlying surface, something didn't go well with the retrimming.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.14 In reply to 8196.13 
On a couple of those spots, after doing an extrude the surface should fit right in place and not need trimming, if you try to trim a surface with something that's right at edge of the surface leaving no actual surface area to trim away that could be the problem you ran into.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8196.15 In reply to 8196.10 
Hi Skyground, I've attached a fixed version of your model, it needed the bottom face to be rebuilt and also a couple of surfaces in the left and right corners. Only one of them actually needed to be trimmed to go into place, the others I extruded to a snap point so the extrusion was the right size right from the start and could just be joined in directly.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8196.16 In reply to 8196.15 
Hi Michael !

Thank you very much! I think I understand now little bit more)

Thanks for fixed file. I will continue to work on it

- Alex
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All