Question about Rhino + moi

Next
Hi all,

I m a heavy Rhino 3D user for the last 18 years or so. I also teach the tool at university level, but I was wondering from Moi3D experts if there are things that you find that Moi does better than Rhino ?

I ve seen some pretty good gallery images here.

I also experimented with moi3d verison 2.0 and loved the fact I would be able to make really clean polys after converting my nurbs surfaces.

But I guess my question is are there strong points in Moi3d that Rhino lacks ( aside from the UI )

thanks

Alex
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8195.2 In reply to 8195.1 
It's faster, easier to use, and in addition the inventor of Rhino is the author of moi3d. Information that I found out tonight.

An Interview with Michael Gibson, MoI CEO and Founder
http://blog.novedge.com/2008/07/an-interview-wi.html
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8195.3 In reply to 8195.1 
Hi alex, yes a lot of people find the mesh export to be much better and there are people who actually use MoI just for that function alone.

The then other main area is the UI but that's a quite substantial area that includes stuff like snapping and selecting things. For example when you move your mouse over an object in MoI to select it you'll see the one that you're currently over light up before you pick it. When you're drawing a line you'll see little tick marks where snap targets are that help you to home in on them. MoI's construction lines replace several specialized snap tools that are individual commands in Rhino, so once you get familiar with construction lines those kinds of things can go much faster. Since MoI incorporated the concept of sub-object selection from the beginning, it has allowed for a lot of condensing of commands, for example MoI's one fillet command can do a curve fillet, a polyline fillet, an edge fillet or a surface/surface fillet because you set the context including edges or faces being selected before you run the command. In Rhino those are 4 different commands.

There's really a lot of stuff to the UI, there's a big focus in MoI on making these basic things easier to do.

The overall focus of MoI and Rhino are very different, Rhino is fundamentally built on the idea of making something that's very friendly to users that have previous experience with AutoCAD, while MoI is focused on making things friendly to those without any previous CAD experience at all.

There are also plenty of people who like to use MoI and Rhino in combination with each other, doing the basic stuff like drawing in MoI to use the better snapping and selection behavior, and then go into Rhino when you need one of the many additional tools that Rhino provides.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8195.4 In reply to 8195.2 
Interesting. I knew that Michael worked for McNeel before but I never was aware that he is also the inventor of Rhino. Since I always use Rhino and MoI in tandem this leaves me with a totally different impression since both products are invented by the very same person. :-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All