Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi, the 'Planar' command in the Construct menu should work for this if all the curves/lines lie on a plane!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks.
I wanto create this from a rhino tutorial but i have problema whit reconstruct command and surface.
I have create a surface but now i do not know like going ahead.

Tutorial is: http://www.superfici3d.com/ventola.php

More:
Twist command exist ?

Tnx

EDITED: 2 Aug 2007 by ALBERTO

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.4 In reply to 817.3 
Hi Alberto - there currently isn't a rebuild command in MoI, you will have to use a slightly different method to get a plane with many points in it to deform.

The replacement method works like this - first draw 2 curves at 90 degree angles, using Draw curve / Freeform / Control points.

Place many points in these curves - each point you place here will give control points to the surface for this method. You might want to turn on grid snap for this, your resulting curves should look something like this (shown here with control points turned on):

Now select one of those curves and run Construct / Extrude. Click the "Set path" button in the command options in the upper-right area of the screen, then pick the second curves as the extrusion path.

Extrude with the "Set path" option has the property that the resulting surface is an exact combination of the control points of each of the original curves. So you can use this method to create a surface with a particular point structure. So your resulting surface will look like this:

So use that to build the original surface there instead of rebuild, and trim it with your outline curve.

> Twist command exist ?

No, sorry MoI does not currently have Twist or Bend type commands, you'll need to use Rhino for these particular manipulations for a while. One quick note - you can move data back and forth between MoI and Rhino very quickly just using copy and paste.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.5 In reply to 817.4 
Michael, excellent tutorial as usual. I tried it using free form curves as you suggested the included grab shows the mesh with free form on the right. I tried one with just two regular curves and inserted my own points the one on the left, the mesh has no lines. How come the free form line constructed one has lines and the other does not. It seems that I also have some funny looking artifacts on my version on the left any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.6 In reply to 817.5 
This App is pure joy! her is another doodle. Michael when you get a moment (LOL) would you demo the best way to use the project to curve features. I have my own work around but I would like to know how it was designed to function. Thanks again.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.7 In reply to 817.5 
Hi phlatt5th,

> How come the free form line constructed one has lines and the other does not.

It looks like you must have gotten some corner points inserted into the free-form one, this will happen if you hold down control while clicking with that Freeform curve tool, or also if you create the curve by joining multiple segments together.

Corner points are points on the curve that will become a sharp point if you drag them. When these go into a surface, they then create the equivalent of a surface corner point as well. Once you disturb a single smooth surface so that it has sharp creases inside of it, MoI will automatically divide the surface into multiple parts along the sharp crease lines, that's what you're seeing there. Those lines are edges where the divided surface fragments are joined to each other.

To avoid this, you want to remove corner points from inside your curve - turn on control points and select them and just delete them.

> It seems that I also have some funny looking artifacts on my version on the left any thoughts? Thanks

Those look like display mesh artifacts, most likely your actual surface is fine there. Check under Options / View / Meshing parameters, and make sure that "Add detail to inflections" is checked, that will usually help improve the display of these kinds of things. When you actually go to export your surface to a polygon mesh format, the export mesher does a more careful (and slower) job than the display mesher.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.8 In reply to 817.6 
> Michael when you get a moment (LOL) would you demo the best way
> to use the project to curve features. I have my own work around but
> I would like to know how it was designed to function.

Basically it is a way to create a curve that is following along the shape of a surface, so that you can use that curve for further constructions.

The most simple function is that you take a planar curve, select it, run Construct / Curve / Project, then select the surface you want to project on to. By default it will project perpendicular to the plane of the curve, but you can also pick 2 points to define a different projection direction if you want, before pushing "Done" to finish the project command.

Here is a mini tutorial to show what kind of situation you might use this for.

Say we want to create this shape, a sphere with grooves cut in it:

The base sphere shape is simple, just draw it with Draw solid / Sphere. But to do the grooves, we're going to have to construct some shape that follows along the surface of the sphere.

After drawing the sphere, I went to the Front view, and drew some curves using Draw curve / Freeform / Control points, that looked like this:

Now we can project these curves on to the surface of the sphere. Select these 2d flat curves that were drawn in the front view, and run Construct / Curve / Project, then select the sphere as the projection target and push Done. After deleting the original 2D curves, you are now left with these curves that follow the surface of the sphere:

Now these curves can be used for constructing the grooves by sweeping. To do the sweeps, I drew a little circle off to the side. When sweeping, if the sweep profile curve is away from the curve MoI will automatically move and rotate it in place, so it is often quick to draw the sweep profile off to the side and let MoI do the work of moving it into place rather than needing to place it yourself.

Then I did 5 sweeps, for each one selecting the little circle, then running Sweep (you can use Right-click to repeat the last command also), then selecting one of those projected curves as the rail path curve.

Now you can select the sphere and use Construct / Boolean / Difference to slice away the sweeps to create the final grooved sphere result.

So basically when you want to construct something that kind of hugs along a surface, that's when you may want to use Project to set up the curves.

One quick note - it is not necessary to project first before trimming a hole, there is an automatic projection built into Trim already.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.9 In reply to 817.8 
That helps. Thanks Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.10 In reply to 817.8 
Awesome!

Thanks for that Michael.

I've been using "project curves" for quite a while now every day and love that feature, it enables me to create models on the fly without the slightest concern for having any difficulties later in altering the mesh when an idea for a mesh feature occurs during modeling which would normally be a feature one would start from with polygonal modeling rather than add to a model already begun. Eyes in a head model, for instance. When one takes a sphere (or any model) in MOI and turns on "show points" (which sometimes first requires using "separate" on the surfaces) one can then readily shape that object by manipulating it's control points in 3d space to achieve some very organic-looking surface flow on that object and alter it's shape in very interesting ways. Using "project curves" with "trim" on such an altered object after it is shaped allows the introduction of new geometry points into the surfaces of that object, so it's easy to shape a head, for instance, and after the shape is perfected create eye sockets, nostrils, mouths, and ears which look perfect.

Even though I love these tools and use them daily I still learned two new things from your brief tutorial above though, I didn't know that I could use sweep as you have above without prior positioning of the sweeping object (and that's a HUGE timesaver for me!) and I also didn't know that there was any "automatic projection" built into trim already! Awesome timesavers!!!

Thanks!

- 3dvisuals dude
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.11 In reply to 817.10 
I'm glad that was useful!

The proper documentation will have details about stuff like this in it, so that should help out a lot when it is ready. SIGGRAPH is kind of getting in the way right now, but once I get back from SIGGRAPH I should be able to focus on the documentation with more full attention.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.12 In reply to 817.3 
HI Alberto,
Here one way with Twist(=Rotate)
Draw Lines

Use Loft

Deselect upper edge and rotate lower edge (this is Twist, Loft is dynamic)

Boole Profile with Plane

Shell and Filet

Array
BestReg`s EDDI

EDITED: 5 Aug 2007 by EDDI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.13 In reply to 817.12 
Big eddi !!
Excuse but also being be clearly is not successful to make it.
You can explain it still better to me?

Thanks, Alberto
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.14 In reply to 817.13 
Hi Alberto,
Schiii....10x Sorry, in step 2 (Picture2) use Loft-Command, not a Sweep-Command (this was wrong,sorry)

>You can explain it still better to me?

Yes, later, this evening.
BestReg`s EDDI
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.15 In reply to 817.13 
OK,
TwistFake
Something lasts to loaded (5,11MB SWF-File)
BestReg`s EDDI
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
817.16 In reply to 817.15 
ahhhhhh!!!