ERROR! Cannot write to plist, there are permission problems, or you are on a readonly volume.

Next
Hi,

So i haven't used Moi3D in a while but when I tried to, it couldn't open. i deleted the old (still v3) version and tried to reinstall the latest version but the message in the subject came up. Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated!

Thank you.
Gunter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8159.2 In reply to 8159.1 
If you're using macOS Sierra I just had to move MoI into the Applications folder and that fixed the problem here.

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8159.3 In reply to 8159.1 
I've heard of this error from a couple of people so far and I haven't yet figured out exactly what change in Sierra is causing it.

The error comes from Wineskin needing to change the Info.plist file. When it tried to open the file for writing access the OS gave an "access denied" error.

To find the file right click the MoI app and choose "Show package contents" then inside there go to Contents and you'll find the Info.plist file, right click that and choose "Get info" and in the info pane go down to the bottom section named "Sharing & Permissions", if you expand that section does it say you have both read and write access to the file or does it say something like read only? Maybe you will need to take ownership of this file in order for it to be modified, I don't know why that's different since Sierra though.

Also does it get fixed if you just move the app into the /Applications folder like Martin mentions above?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I encountered a weird thing in the scope of this subject today, using MacOS Sierra:

MoI worked fine so far since my Sierra upgrade, but this morning when I started MoI, a Wine dialog appeared, presenting a number of installation options, as if I had just installed Wine and now needed to manually install MoI from the Wine UI.

I never saw the Wine dialog before, I just knew in the back of my head that Wine is used as a container to run MoI on the Mac.

What I did (as I don't know anything about Wine) is:

1: copied my custom commands from the Commands folder via Show Package Contents,
2: deinstalled MoI,
3: downloaded it again from the site,
4: reinstalled it,
5: copied back my custom commands.

Everything works fine again now. As I had not removed the license(s) or the Moi.ini file, that wasn't necessary to copy back.

— Metin

———————

metinseven.com — 3D (print) models • animation • characters • icons • illustration • infographics • visualization

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8159.5 In reply to 8159.4 
Hi Metin, is it possible that you had the Alt key held down when you launched MoI? That's one thing that will cause Wineskin to open up Wineskin controls rather than actually launching the program as normal.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't have the Alt key pressed, but I do have a new Wacom tablet with side key assignments that include Alt. Sometimes the Wacom drivers are a bit buggy, messing up activation of the keys and requiring a restart. So that may very well have been the culprit. I didn't know that Alt-clicking the MoI icon results in the Wine skin. Now that I know this, I'll check it if it happens again.

Thanks,

Metin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All