mirror and unite solid - faces change

Next
Hi there,

I'm new to MoI, worked some tutorials and try to be productive actually :)

I want to create a solid on which I can use Max Smirnov's SubD script. The solid should be symmetrical, so I thought I can design only one half, mirror and unite it.
So this would be the half solid:

I selected and mirrored:

Then I selected both solids and united them:

And there's my problem. The faces in the last picture are not symmetrical anymore. On the bottom an L-shaped face was generated, that would cause problems in further use. I tried this procedure according to this thread: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7383.4 As you can see it worked great there, so I think I'm just doing something wrong.

Kind Regards,
Martin

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Martin,

i would delete, for a quick test, the inner face(s) of the solid then mirror and finally join (not boolean) the 2 surfaces. This should result in a solid you are asking for.

Regards
Stefan

EDITED: 2 Nov 2016 by STEFAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8157.3 In reply to 8157.2 
Hi Stefan,

thank you! It worked great. I used the boolean unite command, cause join didn't work on solids. I didn't realize that the solid itself is the problem. As I have surfaces now, the join command works perfect and the script does, too.

Till te next noob question :)

Regards,
Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
You're welcome, Martin.

P.S. regarding noob questions, please do! This is a great community, you get answers really quick! :-)

Regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
8157.5 In reply to 8157.1 
Hi Martin, yes boolean union does some additional work to find coplanar faces being unioned together and merge them into larger single planes. It looks like something is not quite going right with that process as I would have expected all of those pieces to be merged. If they are at a very slight angle to one another that may be the cause.

It shouldn't really cause any problem to have only some of them merged but if you want a symmetrical result it sounds like you've got it figured out now (thanks Stefan!) that you can use Join instead once you've removed the centerline faces so you have unattached edges down the middle. Join will not do any planar face merging.

If you can e-mail (moi@moi3d.com) the model that did not merge all the faces with boolean union I could try to take a look and see if that could be fixed up. It's a little hard to give a way to turn off the merging because boolean union doesn't necessarily have any steps in it where it waits and shows options.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All