An idea for a script to create pockets
All  1  2-3

Previous
Next
8152.2 In reply to 8152.1 
Hi Ed, if you have the cutting object saved in its own 3DM file positioned around the origin and oriented upwards, you might try using the "ImportPart" command to bring it in - that's available by right clicking the File > Import button or by setting up a shortcut key with ImportPart as the command name.

When you run ImportPart it will be similar to running the Transform > Orient command for placing the object, except the base point will be automatically picked as the origin point in the file. That may save you some steps.

I'm not sure it's very feasible to do what you're describing with a script currently, things like analyzing an object to determine its normals, so that part of the script that you're describing would be difficult to do right now I think.

I want to add in a function for "Depth limited" booleans so you could use a curve as a cutting object but give it a depth to cut by rather than just cutting all the way through like it does now, would that help? Hopefully I'll be able to work on that for v4.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
8152.3 In reply to 8152.2 
Thanks Michael -

I'll try a workflow that involves the Copy-Move command along with the Alignment tools.

"Depth limited" booleans are a good idea for the future.

In my case, the blind holes usually have stepped diameters, so I have to boolean with a corresponding solid.

Ed Ferguson
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-3