New Aug-1 bug fix release available
All  1-10  11-15

Previous
Next
815.11 In reply to 815.10 
Hi Jacobo, that's great news! Thanks for testing that. I will use this update for Join then. I'm not sure if I will put out another beta or not yet, if not then this will be in there for V1 though.

I've tried having a margin for the angle before, but in the simple case what happens is an angle of 20 degrees with a margin of 5 degrees ends up being the same thing as an angle of 25 degrees. It basically just pushes the same thing to happen elsewhere.

One thing that I have thought about is to use a margin as a post-processing step after all subdivisions were complete. Maybe I could scan through and look for areas that had been subdivided just once from the initial base mesh, and glue those back together if the glued-together piece was within the margin angle tolerance. I think that might be the best way to clean up these areas. But I won't have time to experiment with that for the initial V1 release though, I have put this on my list of stuff to tune up later.

Here's an image to show you why these kind of subdivisions happen in the first place:

Without subdivisions, you can see that it would be hard to capture the detail for that little bump. It would be very wasteful to cover this entire surface with an evenly divided mesh that was small enough to capture that bump. Putting in subdivisions allows the mesh to gain detail only where it is needed.

The same thing is happening to that one fillet in your other model - it becomes more tightly curved in that one area in the middle (I think it was a variable-radius fillet), so MoI applies the same kind of logic to it to subdivide it to try and capture the detail of the curvature there. That's why it happens right now anyway.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
815.12 In reply to 815.11 
Hi Michael,

It's great that you have put that in your list! It would be great to have a way
to clean up more those areas. It would be great to have it as an option.
Thanks a lot for taking that into account to be included in a future version of MoI.

Keep testing!

Jacobo.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
815.13 In reply to 815.9 
Hi Michael,

>>MoI will only attempt to join together edges that pretty close together - within a maximum of 0.005 units

Hmmm... it is different than the Join command in Rhino... there it is a two times of global modeling tolerance, isn't it.
Could you include all of this "accuracy" specific information into the MoI's help file? I admit, most of users don't need to know that, but many Rhino's users are suckled on technical terms...
I remember you mentioned three kind of tolerance so far.
Global modeling: 0.001 units
Rebuild tolerance for Loft and Sweep with Refit option: 0.01 units
Joining tolerance: 0.005 units

Thanks,

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
815.14 In reply to 815.13 
Hi Petr, that's a great idea, I will include this with the help file.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
I put up a new patch for this Aug-1 build here: http://moi3d.com/beta/Aug1_patch2.zip

This fixes a few meshing bugs and a few other assorted bugs.

To install the patch, unzip to get moi_lib.dll and just copy that over top of the old version in the Aug-1 version in \Program files.

EDIT: One other file also needs to be patched, copy the Sweep.js attached here over top of the old version in the \Commands sub-folder to make Sweep options work.

- Michael

EDITED: 19 Aug 2007 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-10  11-15