slow

Next
Hi,

i recently got a new machine (z820, 2 x 2680 v2, 32gb RAM) and it looks like this machine ist not very much, if any faster than moi on my macbook pro retina 2012, do i have something wrong configured or doesnt moi give a damn about processor power... ??

cheers

torsten schöneich
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8133.2 In reply to 8133.1 
Hi torsten, well it depends on what particular operation is slow, if it's rotating around the display that has a lot to do with your GPU and not too much on the CPU although that can depend also on whether there are a lot of curves being drawn or not.

Do you maybe have different display settings on your old installation? What are your old values under Options > View > "Meshing parameters" for "Mesh angle" and "Add detail to inflections"?

Or if it's not the interactive view rotation can you describe in more detail about what in particular seems slow? Are you testing it with a heavy enough model to be able to really tell any improvement?

What are the video card specs on your new machine?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8133.3 In reply to 8133.1 
Hi torsten, also it's true that just having a lot more CPU cores doesn't speed up everything uniformly, there are only a few operations that are able to leverage multiple CPUs like mesh export and the display.

Things like boolean calculations will currently only use one of those cores - it takes a lot of specialized and very delicate work to make operations run on multiple CPU cores, the regular linear flow of a program has to instead be broken up into a large number of encapsulated work items so they can be handled separately by each core, it's pretty foreign to how regular coding tends to work although for some types of work like rendering tends to be more naturally suited to it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8133.4 In reply to 8133.1 
So meaning if you were expecting everything to run 16 times faster because you have 16 CPU cores, unfortunately that's not how things work except with things that are specifically suited to make use of them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
ok, that explains it, i got a pretty lame quadro 4000 going... what card would you recommend to really get things going in terms of rotation and movement??
should i uncheck detailed inflictions to speed things up ??

cheers and thank you for doing such a great work :-)

torsten from cologne...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi torsten

I did several google searches using HP Z820 and graphics slow, and found others with "slow" performance problems, with
other software. There is all kind of fairly technical talk about the problem.

This site talks about the Z820 being "slow," and a type of Mac which is "twice as fast," and costs half as much:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1445267

- Brian, (not an expert)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
8133.7 In reply to 8133.5 
Hi torsten, if you have a heavy model then under Options > View > "Meshing parameters", try setting "Mesh angle" to a looser angle like 20 degrees and then uncheck "Add detail to inflections". That will make for a somewhat rougher looking shaded surface display but also greatly decrease the amount of triangle data that is sent to the card which can speed things up a lot.

re: graphics card recommendation, I'm not really up to date on what's current. On Windows though MoI uses Direct3D and not OpenGL and so doesn't really need a Quadro, the regular gaming card line should be fine but if you're running other apps that use OpenGL you may still need a Quadro since their OpenGL support is intentionally crippled on their gaming line, at least that's how it used to be.

First though check if tweaking those display settings gives you a noticeable boost or not.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
thank you guys, that might help me... :-)

cheers

t.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Here is a script that you an add as a shortcut key that will toggle the mesh angle between 5 10 and 25

cheers
shayne

script: /* Toggle mesh angle */ var newang, ang = moi.view.meshAngle; if ( ang == 5 ) newang = 10; else if ( ang == 10 ) newang = 25; else newang = 5; moi.view.meshAngle = newang; var sidepane = moi.ui.getUIPanel( 'moi://ui/SidePane.htm' ); var endsection = sidepane.document.getElementById('MiddleBody').nextSibling; if ( endsection.lastChild.id != 'angval' ) endsection.insertAdjacentHTML( 'beforeEnd', '' ); endsection.lastChild.innerText = newang;
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All