Merge command

Next
Hello there,

MoI has that Merge command to join trimmed edges (and faces?). I set up a shortcut for that command, but it seems that it doesn't ever work for me - neither for edges nor coplanar faces. What I'm doing wrong?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7989.2 In reply to 7989.1 
Hi 3image - currently the merge command only works on edges, not faces. If you want to merge coplanar faces though you can separate them into individual surfaces, then select them and run boolean union.

For edges there are some restrictions on what can be merged, only a juncture between 2 edges where the edges meet smoothly can be merged. Probably in your particular case it's not meeting those restrictions. If you think that you have a case where some edges should be mergable but it isn't working please post the 3DM model file and I'll take a look.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7989.3 In reply to 7989.2 
Sure. Please see the attached file.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7989.4 In reply to 7989.3 
Hi 3image - that's not an edge in your file there, it's a "standalone curve". An edge is part of the trimming boundary of a surface.

You can merge your curve's segments together by turning on control points and deleting the point at the juncture, or by using the Rebuild command on it.

Probably in the future I'll try to combine optional merging into the regular Join command but I still haven't entirely worked out the details yet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Ok ok now I understand. :-D

I now see that this function works for broken edges in faces and objects. I always thought it handles faces.

So it's everything clear now. Sorry for bothering.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All