MoI + 3D Printer

Next
MoI + 3D Printer

My son purchased a used Robo R1+ 3D printer. They sell for $700 - $800 new, but his was $500 and only used twice. I guess some folks give up easily and sell their new toy after they realize 3D printers take some effort to set up correctly.

I sent him a STL file created in MoI just to see how it all works. My simple design is a coolant hose clamp for my desktop CNC milling machine.

Earlier I machined a swing arm from aluminum to allow positioning the coolant at the precise height needed for the miniature cutter. Prior to that I was using loc-line to deliver the coolant, but found it too bulky for my small application. My original coolant clamp was machined from aluminum, but I decided I wanted the tube to tilt rather than be in a horizontal position. Rather than machine a new clamp, I decided to try a 3D printed part made from PLA thermoplastic.

I haven’t been following 3D printer technology closely, so I when my son brought the finished parts over I was expecting a rough surface finish that resembled a vinyl LP record. I really expected I would need to sand the parts to make them look and work well. Instead I was surprised how precise the dimensions and surface finish turned out.

The parts are just 0.130” thick. The groove through the center holds a 1/8” diameter tube taken from a ballpoint pen. No sanding required. I just drilled a mounting hole using the aluminum arm as a guide.

In the photo you can see dark diamond shapes. That is an internal honeycomb structure produced by the printer’s software to reduce the material needed to make a solid. I tested to see if it was watertight – sure enough the parts float in water.

MoI produced perfect STL files that worked the very first time. Now that I have a good idea what this printer can do, my next projects will get progressively more complex.

Ed Ferguson

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7968.2 In reply to 7968.1 
Cool stuff Ed, are you planning on doing some jewelry related prints on it too?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7968.3 In reply to 7968.2 
I may at some point Michael.

Desktop stereolithography printers like the Formlabs 2 can make castable resin parts. And 3D printing services like Materialise.com can directly print metals including titanium. These techniques can certainly make complex solids that would be impossible to machine from a solid billet of metal as I do.

An inexpensive thermoplastic 3D printer like the Robo is a great tool to prototype and test ideas before committing to the more advanced methods.

My son purchased his 3D printer to make master parts from which he'll make silicon molds.

Using MoI to print 3D parts takes this program to a whole new dimension (pardon the pun :)

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7968.4 In reply to 7968.3 
Hi Ed, yes it's really cool that there are so many kinds of 3D printing mechanisms available now.

Does your son also work on jewelry or will his prints be for something else?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7968.5 In reply to 7968.4 
He'll be making some custom car parts. That involves dividing the model into chunks (with holes for steel alignment pins) small enough to fit within the working envelope of the 3D printer, then gluing the chunks together to make the master for a silicon mold. The glued pieces will need putty and sanding to hide the seams. But based on what I've seen produced so far, the amount of assembly work will be minimal.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7968.6 In reply to 7968.5 
Hello Ed,

if I read that you use PLA and your son will make some molds I recalled to a video on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVVSZP3Au4
Maybe an also interesting aspect:-)

Have a nice day
Karsten
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7968.7 In reply to 7968.5 
Hi Ed - custom car parts is a great use for 3D printing!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7968.8 In reply to 7968.6 
Karsten - That's an interesting video and his cast aluminum piece based on a 3D print came out better than I expected.

Usually a piece like that that mates to other surfaces in a precision application is cast oversize and then machined to the final dimensions. Because his piece is not very large or complex, it would appear easier to simply machine it entirely from a single billet. But maybe he didn't have access to a milling machine. A piece that has complex curves would be a good candidate for his process.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7968.9 In reply to 7968.8 
Hello Ed,

in opinion, it is fascinating to go back- with CAD and a 3D-Printer of corse - to a 5000 year old method.
I agree with you, that the part isn't the best choice, but the video shows very detailed the process - and
his result is impressive. Some day I have to test it ...

Have a nice day
Karsten
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All