smooth joint tube airfoil connection

Next
Hi,

I need some sort of a smooth joint between a wing tip and a tube for a computer simulation.

Requirements:

1. The front part of the wing tip should be round and smooth

2. The connection between the tube and the wing tip should also be smooth

3. Both should be smoothly connected to enable a nice flow through the tube and around the model

The red parts in the file are just to give you an idea.

Any ideas how to blend the two parts (black) nicely together?

S.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7921.2 In reply to 7921.1 
Hi skipper, well it's hard to see what you're really shooting for here - the red pieces in your file have an abrupt opening here where things are trying to suddenly shift from concave to convex all in one spot. I'm not really sure how you'd fill that part in.

For getting the other parts of the cylinder and wing to connect smoothly you can use Edit > Trim with the "Add trim points" option to cut the wing edge to leave you with some edges to blend between, see attached file.

But I don't really see a good way to fill in the transition from your front rounded tip to those blends, there is a lot of stuff happening in too tight of an area, with a shift from concave to convex and pointy corners, and also the flat planar front to the cylinder as well.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7921.3 In reply to 7921.1 
Maybe n-sided can fill it in, if the rounded part is a little more low profile and the the planar part of the front cylinder is extended a bit, like in the attached file.

It's not particularly smooth though. Doing this in a sub-d polygon modeling program might give better results.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7921.4 In reply to 7921.1 
Hello Skipper,

I have made some experiments. One possible way is to create a curve tangent to the cylinder meeting up to the circle of the cylinder. Then make a projection of the curve to the cylinder face and do a cut. Then make curve/blend between an isoline of the existing blend (between wing and cylinder) and a vertical line between the cylinder. Use the created blend an the edgecurve of the existing blendsurface to create a help surface. Now you can blend between the cut cylinder and the help surface. The create a sweep at the wing. I have made two iso-curves and and blend them with a low bulge. Make a tangent curve starting from the nose of the wing to the blend and trim it. Then you can make the sweep. Make a cutout in this sweep with another helping surface (make a curve and extrude). Then you can make a blend between the cotout and your first created blendsurface. Keep care of the bulge values you use. In my example the blends didn't meet up to the existing.

The important geometry is green marked - maybe hidden! Have a look - it is also not perfect, but maybe another inspiration!

Have a nice day
Karsten

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7921.5 In reply to 7921.4 
Thank you for your support,

I'll play with suggestions and some loft ideas.

S.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All