Extrude tapered : find limit

Next
Hello guys,

Is there any trick to get tapered extrusion finding to maximum limit on simple shape like this ?

I mean, i'm trying to end with a sharp corner on the top of the extrusion, but it's really hard to archive.
(either i'm too low in the extrusion distance and I create a small plane like on the attach. example, or I'm too far and the model vanish).

(I need a quick solution to build roofs on lots of differents (but simple) houses shape)
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi

How about this way, draw a pitch line to the same height as the short side of the roof to the centre and sweep it around the base

Then if you wish to change the pitch you can turn on the top control point and drag it up or down .

cheers
shayne

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7917.3 In reply to 7917.2 
Hi shayno,

I must be a little bit rusty, sweep is indeed a good solution.
Works quite well on more complex profile, after a quick surface trimming clean-up.

Thanks a lot !
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7917.4 In reply to 7917.1 
Hi PaQ - unfortunately Extrude Tapered just does not know how to deal with opposite sides of the extrusion colliding into each other, it gets pretty complicated with anything more complex than just a rectangle like you're using.

If you want to do something really quick, you might try zooming in a ways so you can pick a height that leaves only a very small top flat piece that can't really be seen.

If you want to do it exactly maybe a reasonable way other than sweep could be like this - do the extrude tapered about halfway up, then use the line command and drag out construction lines along the angled edges with "tan" straight snap, so you can get an intersection snap at the exact top.

Now delete the top face of the extrusion, select the 3 long edges and run Construct > Loft with the "Loft Style = Straight" option set, then join the lofted piece with the extruded piece, then with that entire object selected run Construct > Planar.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7917.5 In reply to 7917.4 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the precise steps, perfect for my needs !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7917.6 In reply to 7917.5 
No problem PaQ!

Actually I think I've just come up with a more efficient way - again do the tapered extrusion about half way up, then select these 2 edges:

Then run Edit > Extend. The prompt will say "Select boundary objects or push Done for mutual extend". You want to do the mutual extend option, so right-click in the viewport or push Done without selecting anythiing else to activate that mode. That will generate 2 lines like this:

Repeat that on the other side so you have 4 angled lines. You can now delete the halfway extruded object, select the 4 angled lines and run Construct > Loft. Under Loft options, set "Loft Style = Straight", and also set a check mark on "Closed". That should generate all the top surfaces with one loft right there. If you want to seal off the bottom to make a solid, select the object and run Construct > Planar to cap off the bottom (for capping, it's a shortcut to select the object that has a planar opening in it and then run Planar - that will also do joining built in. If you build the bottom planar face from a curve you'll have to do an extra step to join it).

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7917.7 In reply to 7917.5 
Or also another way is if you join in the base line with the 2 angled lines so you have 2 angled triangles like this:

You can then use Construct > Loft and it will build a closed solid as the result.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7917.8 In reply to 7917.1 
PaQ - this is off-topic, but I've been meaning to ask you for a while. I watched an anime called Cross Ange Rondo of Angel and Dragon which had mecha and some aircraft that looked very much like something you had posted on this forum a while ago. I wanted to know if you had anything to do with it, or maybe someone was inspired by your work?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Curious!
Sweep + Mutual intersections + Delete is very speedy even forms are some complex! :)

else you have FormZ 8 Free! As its name said it's Free! ;)

You can export in DAE, KMZ, STL so maybe a little conversion at the end will be necessary for input result inside Moi!

its formats import: so make your choice :)

EDITED: 11 Apr 2016 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7917.10 In reply to 7917.9 
Hi guys,

Hello Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to illustrate additional methods. I didn't know about this mutual extend option, very useful !

Hi omac12,

No I didn't know about Cross Ange Rondo of Angel and Dragon. I would be glad if they get inspiration from my work, but I really doubt it was the case.
(I myself get inspired by lot of other artist work ;))

Hi Pilou,

Yes the Sweep + Mutual intersections + Delete works very well.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7917.11 In reply to 7917.10 
I will try to find a picture of the mecha in vehicle mode before transform. I don't recommend watching it it to anyone new to anime as it turned out to be fairly explicit and rather shocking. I'm a mecha junkie so it was fine for me, but it was was way over the top and not suitable for polite company.

Here is a picture that's not too bad even though it could stand to be closer up: http://i.imgur.com/bKMzinP.png

EDITED: 12 Apr 2016 by OMAC12

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All