Surface selecting

Next
Is there a way to step through adjacent elements, in a contiguous way, for the surfaces of a model. I have a complete jar that I want separate the various parts jar and lid. It appears now that they are one. To make it more tricky there is thickness to the jar and lid like it would actually be.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7882.2 In reply to 7882.1 
Hi Mike, if you go and select one face of an object you can then use Ctrl+A / Select All to select all faces of that object.

That will select all the faces of that object though, not just ones directly connected to it. The only time you should end up with one object that has different groups of surfaces in it is a hollow object that has an inner void area in it that is not connected to the outer surface. Is that the kind of thing you're working with?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7882.3 In reply to 7882.1 
Hi Mike, also see here for a script that will grow the selection from one selected face to its neighboring attached ones:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6988.4

Set that on a keyboard shortcut and then keep triggering it until the selection has spread all the way through.

You can use that if you want to extract out the outer or inner piece of a hollow solid with a cavity in it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Good morning Michael,

My model, although it could be/should be two parts, appears to be fushed or one. When I select one surface and hit command A It selects the entire model. I will need to dissect the surfaces, separate them manually. I'll try the scripts you mentioned.

Thanks

Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All