Overlapping object selection

Next
Hi Michael and everyone,

Is there a way inside Moi to cycle select overlapping objects ?

How can i select stacked objects that occupy same space, like for example, two or more curves stacked one over each other ?

Have a ice day.

Marco.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7855.2 In reply to 7855.1 
Hi Marco, there isn't any way set up to cycle between overlapping objects, the main way to select stacked up objects that are occupying the same space is to click on them which will select one of them and if that is not the one you want, hide that one so it won't be in your way anymore and you can then select the remaining one.

I had previously done a cycling method for Rhino and I've come to view that as a mistake because it pops up very frequently and becomes irritating, so I've avoided that with MoI.

If you want to select all the stacked up objects at once, then do a window select instead of clicking. A window selection where you start on the right and move your mouse towards the left will have a dashed outline and will select any objects that cross the window, so you can do it on a small area where there aren't other objects around it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7855.3 In reply to 7855.2 
Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for your quick reply, as usual.

I realize that is only a personal point of view, but i think that the method you made for Rhino, is not so bad, 'cause i think that,
in some situation, it's not so unusual to get stacked objects or, most importantly, staked control points.

I hope that in the V4 you will add some kind of smart strategy to work with this kind of stuff.

Meanwhile, maybe, some of the cunning guys of this forum, Max and co. :), will write some script about that.

- Marco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7855.4 In reply to 7855.3 
Hi Marco, for myself it's one of the things that bothers me the most when I try to go back into Rhino to do something. It pops up so frequently and it makes you do extra work for basic tasks.

The other thing is, that other than for control points, when you have 2 completely identical objects stacked on top of each other, when you want to select one of them it doesn't really matter which of them you select if they are actually completely identical...

It will probably be very difficult to do by scripting because there isn't currently any mechanisms in place that call script code during the selection process.

I've thought some about maybe doing something for the case with a edge and a curve stacked on top of each other since that is the most common type of overlap though. But it's pretty unlikely for the v4 timeframe, I've already got my hands full enough as it is with the v4 rewrite currently.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7855.5 In reply to 7855.4 
Hi Michael,

I know how pop ups can be annoying however with overlaps it would be handy, from my experience with MechEng software through the years the nicest solution I've seen is when there is overlap a tiny symbol appears next to the cursor to indicate a stack of objects but the user has a choice to either pick the first object and continue or hold down the LMB, when the tiny symbol appears, to show the pop up with stacked entity choices.

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All