Rhino External Access

Next
Hi,

I would like to illustrate how Rhino commands can be accessed from MoI via RhinoScript.

If you have got full Rhino version 3 or 4 (not only evaluation one), you can try this simple custom command that allow rebuilding a curve or group of curves. Of course, it is possible to write more sophisticated version of Rebuild command...

Unzip the attached file (Rhino version 3 or Rhino version 4) into the "C:\Program Files\MoI beta Jul-17-2007\commands" folder, then add a keyboard shortcut, for example:

F5       RhinoRebuild

Before using the command, you have to launch Rhino!

If both MoI and Rhino are runing, draw some curve/curves, then do F5 (or whatever your shortcut key is). Set number of control points in the command prompt. Select some curve/curves and push Done button.

Petr

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
781.2 In reply to 781.1 
Hi Petr, cool idea for automating the process of sending stuff from MoI to Rhino and back again, for stuff that MoI does not handle yet! I'd imagine you could get quite a bit of other stuff working in a similar manner using your script there as a template.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
781.3 In reply to 781.1 
Excellent idea!

The best of both programs...who would have thought Rhino would become a plugin to MoI...:-) (well sort of)

-Jesse
jdkjewelry3d.blogspot.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I don't know if this is obvious, but I've had good results using sweep to rebuild (refit) curves for those that don't use/have Rhino.
By using the curve to be rebuilt along with a copy of it nearby, joining these two curves with two lines, and using the curves as the profiles in a 2-rail sweep (the lines are the rails) you can choose #points in the profiles dropdown and control how much to simplify the curve. Then just copy+paste the newly created surface lines - it seems to give good results, and the curve is clamped to the end points.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
781.5 In reply to 781.4 
Hi Rhumba, yup that's a good trick for getting a rebuild in the current beta.

Both Sweep and Loft have an option to use the equivalent of Rebuild by that #points profiles option. I think if you use Loft you can skip your line drawing steps.

I just didn't have time to figure out where to place the UI access point for an actual Rebuild command quite yet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All