MOI to Keyshot -- best practises ...
All  1-13  14-16

Previous
Next
7788.14 In reply to 7788.13 
Sorry 2byts, but I don't understand what you mean.

Keyshot overides the vertex normals when using the rounded edge shader, leading to render artifacts.
The images I post above show that you can have rounder edge effect on .obj coming from Moi without artifacts. (using Modo).

So it's definitively a Keyshot problem, there is nothing wrong with MoI exporter, whatever the format you use.

(FBX is usefull to handle complex ngones, at least in 3dsmax)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7788.15 In reply to 7788.13 
Hi 2byts,

> Maybe your right Michael about it being keyshot.

I don't really see how it could be other than that - the problem only happens when KeyShot's edge rounding function is being used. That's something that is happening inside of KeyShot.

re:
> I use Maya and had some normal artifacts which I manually fixed but that was some
> months ago...I will post updates next time i see it.

That's unusual - other people have used MoI's OBJ exporter to go into Maya with no problem with vertex normals.

Maybe check if you have disabled the vertex normals in Maya's importer options, or also maybe you did some vertex editing in Maya after you did the import? That may cause the imported vertex normals to be discarded.

> I am not sure, but would using FBX fix the issue?

You could use FBX for Maya if you want to, MoI also writes vertex normals out to FBX format. But currently MoI's FBX exporter does not export MoI styles as a materials list unlike OBJ and LWO format. So for Maya I'd usually recommend using .obj format, that transfers the most information.

If you run into any problems with .obj into Maya in the future please let me know, I don't think I've heard of any similar problems from any other people.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7788.16 In reply to 7788.14 
I think he's confusing the terms of vertex normals with face normals. I dont think you will be "fixing" vertex normals in maya or other apps. Those come from the originating surface.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-13  14-16