Vector into 3D - fillet/chamfer problems
All  1-15  16-19

Previous
Next
7781.16 In reply to 7781.15 
Thanks for all the cool replyes and ideas guys.

Only problem with all those "solutions2 is that there is much more manual work than i've anticipated and wanted to do. I hoped to use MOI for great EPS/AI logotype creations to quickly import, extrude, bend/curve front faces and then do great looking fillet/chamfer on top which is problematic in regular polygonal or SubDs methods.
But now I'm stuck in MOI trying to solve some basic stuff like fixing AI files or recreating whole logo in MOI again which is then even slower than trying to do it in Polygons from start (i don't need to recreate logo curves on import in LWModeler) so i'm back to beginning of not using MOI for that :(.

Here is another very simple example I can't grasp in MOI why is it happening :(. I know it's probably my logic i.e. too much thinking about polygons so i'm trying to delete/remove some stuff which is easy in polygonal modeler but obviously not possible in MOI (for whatever reason) so please bare with me and try to explain me how to solve that.

Thanks i advance and Happy holidays :).

Here is short video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1bq4h4mk2t65e8/MOI_Solid_TEXT_Logo.rar?dl=0

Lewis
www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7781.17 In reply to 7781.16 
Hi Lewis, I'm afraid that if the input geometry is messy and garbled it just isn't possible to use it directly. It's the old saying of "garbage in = garbage out" - if your original 2D vector input is of good quality then you'll be able to use it directly but if it isn't good quality you will have to clean it up.

I watched your last video and your question was "why do I get these extra lines" - those are again pretty much the same problem as before, the 2D vectors used in the font are a little messy there and made up of multiple segments rather than being a long single smooth chain of curves. You say something like "I didn't import it, I created it entirely inside of MoI", but that's not really true because the geometry is actually being imported from the font file in that case and it's also not particularly unusual for fonts to be made up of messy geometry as well since they were originally designed just for 2D printing which is not as sensitive to messy geometry as 3D modeling operations are.

But I'm also not sure why you are so concerned about those edges in this particular case since it doesn't prevent you from doing the fillet you want...

Anyway the particular reason for those edges is that when a contour is extruded, each separate segment in the profile curve will get extruded into its own face, so having lines like that means there are separate segments in the generator curve, if you use the option to generate curves instead of solids you can then use Edit > Separate on the curves to break them into their individual segments and you'll see each of those pieces being a separate curve after using Edit > Separate on it.

It may be possible in the future for me to do some more gluing together of these separate segments when 2D vector art is imported (either from AI format or from font files, they are very similar) at the expense of slightly altering the curve shape in order to force pieces that are close to being smooth to be exactly smooth instead. Right now it does not try to do that and just brings in the curves exactly as they are structured in the original 2D vector data.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7781.18 In reply to 7781.17 
Hi Michael, thanks for such quick reply (and on holidays hours, you are awesome support).

As for some questions here is few answers:
I knew someone will ask why do i worry about those when it filleted them fine :), well thing is that it didn't fillet it on my real target mesh (NDA stuff so i had to use different name/mesh) which also had that "A" letter from that same font but front face/surface wasn't flat like on my video but curved so it was making it harder for fillet which failed on letter A in that case and I wasn't been able to make it single piece so that's why i made that video in the first place :).

Eventually what I did was to create CURVES from FONT instead solid/3D, then get to show points, deleted all points which curved slightly (which effectively is also destroying the font structure/look) and then all worked fine but as i mentioned it was really extra step/long process i hoped i'll be able to avoid and be done much faster with logo creations in MOI than in Polygons programs.

Either way it seems MOI is very sensitive to those small glitches and for some reason tolerance seems to be zero 'coz from look at curves (on that font letter A) LEFT and RIGHT sides seem/look same and yet MOI creates extra edges on Right side of letter A and not on LEFT side so yeah if you could make some "tolerance" setting on import/creation Vector tools in future I think that would help on such cases very much.

Thanks for your time.

Lewis
www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7781.19 In reply to 7781.18 
Hi Lewis, no problem. And yes, filleting in MoI does tend to be pretty sensitive to curves which come pretty close to being smooth to one another but are just something like 3 or 4 degrees apart from being actually tangent to one another. That's the kind of situation where you'll get separate segments in what you'd rather have as a smooth piece, if they are more exactly smooth to one another they should get fused into a longer single segment instead of separated.

Filleting does not like that kind of "close to smooth but not quite smooth", because fillet surfaces only naturally meet up with each other at totally smooth areas - at any kind of sharp point it means the fillets themselves do not touch each other and a juncture patch has to be created. But in a very shallow corner the juncture can be some kind of tiny slivery piece and often times little slivery pieces cause difficulties for intersecting and joining things together.

So it would probably be better in that particular case for MoI to modify the shapes of the "almost smooth" pieces so that they would instead be totally smooth to one another and then could be combined. That can sometimes cause other problems though, because it changes the shape of the curve and if the shape changes too much that can be undesirable as well. It's somewhat difficult for an automatic mechanism to judge very well for how much of a change should be allowed.

Right now you have to use your own judgment to clean up such things in order to improve the quality of the geometry.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-15  16-19