Flow a pattern on a non cylindrical surface
All  1-5  6-8

Previous
Next
7762.6 In reply to 7762.5 
So here is a file where I cut the non-developable revolve in half. Now I have a surface I can "flatten" and place my objects for the flow.

[method] I flattened the half surface then grabbed it's edges and ran "morphbetween2curves", then used arraycurve to place my objects [method]

But, your other issue is you cant really "flow an arc" onto a non-developable surface and expect it to stay an arc. It will deform to stretch to the surface.

Here you use the "rigid" check in the flow command.... Most likely you will want to sink the objects down into the flow, because the rigid tick can leave edges of the perfect "flowed" arcs hanging out of the flowee surface.... So bury them down a bit, so they can be trimmed with the flowee surface at their base....

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7762.7 In reply to 7762.5 
Hi Finema, please post your 3DM model file and that will help me to be able to see if I can suggest anything else.

I guess the part that you don't like is that the objects shrink down when they're around the neck - that will be because the revolved surface tapers down and has a smaller length across it in those areas, so that will correspondingly make the shapes smaller as well.

Like Burr mentions you might try the "Rigid" option for Flow which only rotates objects instead of doing a texture-mapping like approach, or another possibility could be to use the "projective" mode for Flow rather than the regular texture-mapping type mode.

- Michael

EDITED: 9 Dec 2015 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks Michael, thanks Burr

Projective is good but project only on the visible part....
Make a rigid flow on the half part of my model is the solution , i think...
Sorry i can't post any .3dm cause i'm not on my personal computer and i haven't MoI here, but this is only a revolve curve (rebuild) with a simple pattern.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-5  6-8