Tire Tutorials Parts 1 & 2

Next

I needed to make some tires, and discovered some interesting thing while creating them. So, I thought I'd document the most straightforward way I know of to make a high resolution tire in MoI.

The technique involves using flow. It is assumed that there is a rudimentary understanding of how to correctly MAP a flat surface to a target surface by clicking.
See picture above.
If you click (1) on the flat surface you must click (2) on the target surface for a correct flow mapping. Clicking (3) or (4) won't work. The click tells MoI 2 things:
1) the closest edge and; 2) the second closest edge.

There are 2 tutorials.

The first talks about building the tire and then setting up the tire and the 'tire plane' for Flow.

The second goes over how to create the tire tread, map it correctly to the tire, and finally flow it on.

One thing I figured out is it's much better to create the whole tire as a single solid and then flow it, versus flowing different parts onto the tire and trying to *union and/or subtract* them later.

I hope they help others. I know I'll be going back and looking at them again the next time I need a tire. :-)

BTW, Michael and Max, the UnwrapCurve could use a feature which adds a toggle for keeping points proportional to the flattened curve. Would make things more exact (see Part 1 of the tutorial).

EDITED: 6 Dec 2015 by CHIPPWALTERS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7753.2 In reply to 7753.1 
Hi Chipp, thanks for doing this and other tutorials!

I know it's not a simple task to organize these tuts.

I agree that it would be a VERY handy option keep proportional points on an unwrapped curve.

Just to add to your tutorial, if you maintain history between the tire profile and the revolved result and
then enable history on the flow result, it allows you to edit the profile and edits will update the flow result.
Image Attachments:
Size: 547.8 KB, Downloaded: 66 times, Dimensions: 1920x1131px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Great job Chipp! :-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks everyone. One thing which should be added is to remove the end surfaces of the originated solid before Flowing-- so that a proper solid can be made. For more info please see this thread:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7757.1
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All