dxf import

Next
I need to have a rough layout in MoI from a 3D file that contains oil pipes. the file isn't CAD nurbs but a poligon mesh, so I want to import it as a 3d dxf file. But exporting from C4D or Modo seems not to work, there are no objects after opening the dxf in MoI. When converting obj to dxf in FormZ, I sometimes get closed edges which can be converted to planar in MoI.
Why are C4D dxf files not usable in MoI? there are 3 options in C4D, polyline, solid & 3D Face, I tried them all, but no results. Even a single cube won't import, but is perfectly imported in other SW.

Any ideas on how to import a poligon mesh in Moi, just for positioning and measuring the objects (and regenerate them as nurbs like that)?

tnx
wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
ok, hold your horses, I just found Obj23dmWireframe and Max Smirnov's script to import obj, I will try those first!

wim

EDITED: 29 Nov 2015 by WIMVERBE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
damn, Obj23dmWireframe is win only....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7737.4 In reply to 7737.3 
<< damned
if this is exact
Put your file here in Zip format and we will transform it! ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Pilou, but I just tested the _ImportObj script, and it does just what I need! excellent!

rgds
wim
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7737.6 In reply to 7737.5 
So better for you ... and me! ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7737.7 In reply to 7737.5 
Hi wim,

if you want to import objects without normalization (rescaling) use this command:
code:
_importobj exact
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7737.8 In reply to 7737.1 
Hi wim, it sounds like you're all sorted out now but just to answer your question:

> Why are C4D dxf files not usable in MoI? there are 3 options in C4D, polyline, solid &
> 3D Face, I tried them all, but no results. Even a single cube won't import, but is perfectly
> imported in other SW.

There are a lot of different possible types of data that can be stored in DXF files, like 2D drafting data such as lines, arcs, circles, but also polygon mesh data, encrypted ACIS solids, dimensions, and text.

MoI only tries to read in wireframe drafting data, and will only read in these entity types: LINE, CIRCLE, ARC, POINT, LWPOLYINE, POLYLINE (not the "polyface mesh" sub variant though), ELLIPSE, and SPLINE.

So likely the DXF file that you were trying to import had data stored in one of the other types of entities than what MoI reads in.

> there are 3 options in C4D, polyline, solid & 3D Face

So probably "polyines" uses a POLYLINE entity but with the "polyface mesh" variant of it which uses the vertices of a polyline to represent a polygon mesh rather than a curve type polyline. A "solid" is a 2D drafting entity in AutoCAD that is a filled polygon with 4 sides - MoI does not read that in currently because MoI does not have a "fill" type concept as of yet, and 3D face is an entity for a polygonal face with 3 or 4 sides, again since it's a polygon type entity MoI does not read it in currently.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thank you Max and Michael!

w
  Reply Reply More Options