Snapping

Next
Moi has been having trouble finding points to snap to. Specifically on surface edges. I always have to draw a grid line to get the end snap to show up on very basic geometry. The On snap always works, but when I get to a corner it can't find the End or Intersection. All snaps are turned on, I will reset the view on the object, and it never works consistently. Any pointers? Also is there a way to lock a direction something is drawn?

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7729.2 In reply to 7729.1 
Hi yakas - does this happen to you on something as simple as a model with just a single box in it, or is does it only happen on some particular models? If it's only on some particular models is it possible for you to send me the most simple example to moi@moi3d.com ?

Also do you see any difference in behavior if you change the option under View > "Display hidden lines" checkbox ?

If you're on Windows do you possibly have a custom setting in your video driver options that forces anti-aliasing to always be on? If so then that could be the problem - if you are not displaying hidden lines then MoI will calculate the visibility of snap points and not snap on to hidden ones, and if anti-aliasing is forced on in the driver settings it can interfere with this process.

> Also is there a way to lock a direction something is drawn?

If you have "Straight snap" enabled on the bottom toolbar, it will lock drawn objects to the nearest axis line if you have your mouse close by it.

Also when Straight snap is enabled you can hold down the Shift key to keep the current straight snap active without having to keep your mouse right nearby it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7729.3 In reply to 7729.2 
Hi Micheal,

It must be the file, a new file with a couple solids snaps fine and finds all the snap points. The problem file(30mb) has a cad survey of a property in it with 20k+ lines and curves. However I am using purely as a reference and have it hidden. The surfaces I am working with in that file have the snapping problem, but when I copy those surfaces to a new empty file, it has no problem finding the snap points.

Its a surface pro 3, not finding any anti-alias setting.

Gobble Gobble
Yakas
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7729.4 In reply to 7729.3 
Hi Yakas is it possible for you to send the file to me over here? For a large file like that you'd need to use a file sharing service like Dropbox or Microsoft One Drive, and then send me a link to it through e-mail at moi@moi3d.com

That could help me to discover what the problem is with the survey data and see if I could solve it for v4.

Maybe it has something to do with things located a far distance away from the 0,0,0 origin point (which tends to reduce numeric accuracy on general math computations), or something to do with large scene bounding boxes or something like that.

But I would need to be able to reproduce it over here first in order to have a chance at solving it for v4 though.

Thanks, - Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All