bleeding mesh edges and exporting UV's
All  1-2  3-9

Previous
Next
Hi rhumba. Sorry, perhaps i didn't explain very well. When exporting UV's i would like to have these options:

1) Nesting - Currently each UV group occupies the UV space from 0,0 to 1,1. Nesting means to fit them proportionally into one UV space. So on a polysurface made of 4 faces, each UV area might occupy 1/4 of the space (more or less depending on each surface size). Currently, the export stacks each UV region on top of each other... I can fix this in an external editor, but if there are many regions involved it can be time consuming. Automatic options are always preferred :)

2) When exporting with "weld", would like option to have each section of UV's remain NOT welded. Because currently, if i export to Modo with UV's welded then i must select all related mesh faces related to each surface. then in UV editor i Cut UV's and Paste UV's to make a seperate region. This could take a bit of time for very dense mesh.

shorty
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael. Any comments about the bleeding edges? Maybe it's something i can change already?

thanks,
jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
772.5 In reply to 772.4 
Hi Jonah, sorry about not getting back to you on this one, I was going to take a look at what was involved in tuning it up but I got sidetracked. No, there isn't any way to change it currently.

One thing that might be easy for me to do would be to turn off the zbias for backfacing edges on a completely closed mesh. This should clear up the display when you are processing a solid, but it will still be a problem with non-volume objects.

Would that help out in this case? I'd rather try to avoid adding too many settings if possible, but this much may be easy to add.

re: Nesting - this one will take more effort to do since it kind of needs a bit of careful treatment to attempt to have UV size correspond in some way to surface area. So that's definitely a 2.0 thing.

> 2) When exporting with "weld", would like option to have each section of UV's remain NOT welded.

This one I'm not quite following, when you export with weld, the UVs are actually not currently welded (I mean unified to one single shared value), the welding should only cause the 3D vertex point between 2 polygons to be shared. When you have welding turned on, MoI should be exporting a type of face-based UV mapping data, called a VMAD chunk in the LWO file. This specifies UV coordinates for each point of each face, so it is face-based instead of just vertex based, so 2 faces that share a single 3d point can still have their own distinct UVs at that spot. I don't know how this appears from the Modo UI, does Modo have some problem with this kind of mapping?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
772.6 In reply to 772.5 
HI Michael.

Bleeding edges - Do you mean you can cull the backfaces of the meshes on solid objects only? That sounds good enough for me.

UV Welding - i selected some UV faces and it was pulling a few neighboring vertices when i dragged them in the UV editor. Maybe i selected another poly without realizing it, but i didn't think so. Anyway i am playing with another test file now, and it seems to behave exactly as you mention. Probably just a user related bug. But if i ever see it again and if it proves to be not-me related, then i will send a file to you.

Thanks,
jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
772.7 In reply to 772.6 
> Do you mean you can cull the backfaces of the meshes
> on solid objects only? That sounds good enough for me.

Yup, that's what I meant. I'll try to take a look at it tomorrow, it is probably not too hard.

> But if i ever see it again and if it proves to be not-me related, then i will send a file to you.

Sounds good, thanks!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
772.8 In reply to 772.6 
Hi Jonah, this is tuned up with the new beta that's just out now. Now backfacing edges are culled for solids, so that should generally avoid the bleed-through issue for those cases.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
772.9 In reply to 772.8 
Thanks Michael :)

jonah