MOI and Simlab Composer

Next
Simlab Composer don't import .3dm files from MOI.
Is it possible that next version of MOI will solve this problem?
although MOI exports very good, it is always better to use a native file format...

Thank you very much

Eugenio
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7719.2 In reply to 7719.1 
That wont be a MoI issue, that's the importer that SimLab are using. Moi does not generate render meshes where as Rhino does, and their importer will be reading mesh rather than NURBs

Martin
(TpwUK)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7719.3 In reply to 7719.1 
well, an excellent and perfect option is to import as step-or sat file,

just my 2cts
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7719.4 In reply to 7719.1 
Hi Eugenio,

> Is it possible that next version of MOI will solve this problem?

Sorry no, that's not possible - it's something that would need to be addressed by Simlab Composer. They would need to process the real NURBS objects that MoI saves in the 3DM file instead of only looking for Rhino's cached display mesh information. See here for a more detailed description:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5325.2

I'd recommend using OBJ format with the "Output: Quads & Triangles" option for exporting to Simlab Composer, that works well for transferring rendering data over to it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
As user of Keyshot said (Chipp Walters) render directly Nurbs file in nurbs format (Keyshot can do it) is for the moment for complex objects slower than render normal format of "polygons" object!
so what is the interest as we can save in OBJ with several options directly in Moi toward some different renders?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7719.6 In reply to 7719.5 
Hey frenchy.

""""""Why would you prefer it?"""""

I think the benefit (and why its slower) is it will be performing the tesselation in "real time".... so if you have a large scene and are viewing the entire thing, you will render 500,000 polygons, but if you zoom way in to a very closeup shot, you will be still rendering 500,000 polygons... (that number is just arbitrary to demonstrate the point....)

If you export and obj of 500,000 polygons and then zoom way in, you may only be looking at 200 polygons....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7719.7 In reply to 7719.1 
Hi Eugenio,

I use Simlab Composer for rendering files created with moi3d.I tried several exporters,but the best results I'm getting with obj file,which I export as ngons most of the time.If I want to be more realistic I drag the polygon slider almost to the end and then I export it.If there are a lots of polygons,you need more RAM memory.Several minutes ago I've tried to import my STL file to Simlab Composer 6.1 with almost a milion of polygons and my computer crashed,because I have only 4gb of ram memory.

update: I've tried to import to simlab Composer v6.1pro SAT,IGS and STEP file 5 minutes ago and it works.When you want to import there is a dialog where it asks you if you want dynamic link and you have also the option fine and coarse,which depends from your RAM memory.Before you export to this files I suggest you to separate all your parts by material,and then to export it and import to Simlab Composer and add your materials.When I use obj file it remembers my materials and it's much easier to add materials in Simlab.Hope this helps.

here is the link for app plugins which could be integrated with Simlab Composer

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/SimLab_CADIntegration.aspx

here it is how it works with rhinoceros3d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyltywL0mXY

Maybe they could build the same plugin for moi3d,if there would be users who wants that plugin for moi3d.Maybe I will ask them to create plugin for moi3d too.What do you think about this idea Simlab Composer users?

- Zenox

EDITED: 11 Nov 2015 by ZENOX

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7719.8 In reply to 7719.6 
BurrMan,

Do you know if Keyshot is actually storing a nurbs representation of the file, or is it reading it in from an external file at rendering?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7719.9 In reply to 7719.8 
Hey Chris,
No i dont know the particulars. It seems to be insinuating that it is reading in, and representing NURBS data, and so i just assumed that was the case.

Maybe it can be inquired about in the keyshot forums (when does the tessalation actually take place). There are alot of keyshot users here in this forum also.aybe someone already knows and can clarify....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7719.10 In reply to 7719.9 
Hi BurrMan & Chris, if you import MoI 3DM files, the NURBs are imported directly. You will need to tell KS5 & 6 to render NURBs data. As far as i know all other NURBs formats have the option to tessellate upon import. Simple rule of thumb, if you try to import a file and KS reports a no geometry found error, the check the import NURBs data option and you should be good to go.

Martin
(TpwUK)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
For KeyShot, the "Import NURBS" option mentioned above is under the Geometry section of the Import options dialog, it's shown around 30 seconds in on the video Pilou links to above. Here's a link to a bit larger displayed version of the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZmrTkC-8ac

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I mostly export OBJ to KeyShot. They render much faster and importantly, if exported from MoI correctly, allow for small fillets to be added to the geometry at render time, creating even more realistic renders.

Just my 2 cents.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7719.13 In reply to 7719.12 
I just requested the render time filleting for SimLab a few days ago ... hopefully will make into the development cycle.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All