CAD capabilities.

Next
Hi Michael.

great work on the software so far.!, really impressive.

i am currently using your software to plan out some designs that i eventually would like to cut onto a cnc controlled foam cutter or router.. something like that!.

your software has virtually no limitations in terms of " getting my MOI on paper", but i struggle to find an export format that will be understood by CAM software... (ie, DXF, DRW, WMF, SVG, etc.. )

do you have any intention to support this type of capability, or would you like to use the software for only conceptual NURBS models.

thanks

Anthony
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
771.2 In reply to 771.1 
I thought .iges was one of the most universal CAD file types?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
MoI ->3DS->ACAD->DXF or DWG

***There is always a better way to do things... Just find your Moment of Inspiration***

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
771.4 In reply to 771.1 
Hi Hightower, which CAM software are you using?

MoI does currently export to several of the most frequently used CAM formats - STL for triangle mesh data, and IGES for NURBS curves and surface data.

The most recent beta also supports exporting 2D curves to the AI format - you mention WMF and SVG which are somewhat similar to AI format since they are 2D. But AI support tends to be more widespread. Does your CAM program support WMF and SVG but not AI ?

There is definitely an intent to support exporting of geometry to other applications. In future versions I expect to add capabilities to export to more formats (DWG/DXF will be a big one). Version 1.0 is focused more on a core selection of the most frequently used ones.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
771.5 In reply to 771.4 
Hey guys, thanks for the response, i see i havent done my research,

Michael, the CAM software i use does not accept AI (illustrator), and i dont have that application... i will see if i can get a utility to transfer your formats into something that Mach3 supports ( CMX,DWF,CGM,PLT,PCT,DRW,WMF,EMF,GBR,SHP,PRN,SVG,WPG,WMZ,DRL),,,

wow, that was a lot of acronyms...

i think i should come right with doing something in the AI format...

also, if i draw a cube in moi, can i export all 6 sides as individual 2d objects from MOI?

i will update this when i get a common format that works between the two applications (MOI & Mach3)

thanks again
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
771.6 In reply to 771.5 
< also, if i draw a cube in moi, can i export all 6 sides as individual 2d objects from MOI?
Seems yes but you must move each facetts in a same view because you must choose a view before the export!
You can use the function Offset for extract some facetts and after you can move, rotate, as you want etc...your 6 faces in a same view before the export al :)

If you make the export in the 3D view you will obtain some losanges!!!
So use the top, right, front views for have any deformations!!!

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
771.7 In reply to 771.5 
Hi Hightower, well I am really surprised that Mach3 supports all those different formats but not AI or IGES. I would have thought that especially AI would be at the top of their list...

I tried looking around and it seems to be hard to find a free converter from AI.

One thing that would work for sure is either Rhino or Adobe Illustrator.

> also, if i draw a cube in moi, can i export all 6 sides as individual 2d objects from MOI?

There isn't any automatic method, but you could do this by selecting the cube and using Edit/Separate to break it into different surfaces, then select the surfaces one at a time and use File / Export to export each one to a different file.

File / Export will only write out the selected objects to the file instead of everything like Save As does.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All