dxf export

Next
Hi all. I used to use Rhino a lot just for export to dwg, but now with the dxf export inside MoI I rely on Rhino a lot less. The problem with the dxf is that if a line is joined with a curve, all the polyline is converted to splines when exporting and then, on Autocad, the snaps doesn't work correctly and its almost imposible to work with those splines. In Rhino, some of the export options explode the polylines and that makes the lines useful inside Autocad, but more important, it can recognize circles and arcs and make them work as such on Autocad. Is it posible to make the MoI dxf export a little more intelligent so that it recognizes arcs and circles and doesn't convert them to splines and to have lines behave as such and not to be converted to splines? That would be very useful.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7703.2 In reply to 7703.1 
Hi ed,

re:
> Is it posible to make the MoI dxf export a little more intelligent so that it recognizes arcs and
> circles and doesn't convert them to splines and to have lines behave as such and not to be
> converted to splines?

Actually MoI does already recognize arcs, circles, lines, and polylines and will export those as the corresponding AutoCAD entity rather than as a generic spline.

But for arcs and lines this will only happen if the entire curve is an arc or line - I guess you're talking about a multi-segment curve where one segment is a bendy spline and then also one or more segments within it are lines?

I don't think that AutoCAD has any fully generic "segmented curve" type entity where the segments can be splines or line segments and still be joined together. So I guess you'd want an option to explode multi-segment curves and then have their separate pieces be exported as a line or arc when possible?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I had that problem. Vectric told me to convert to a another format. So I export the dxf into CoralCad and save and use it in dwg format.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7703.4 In reply to 7703.3 
Hi Marv,

re:
> I had that problem. Vectric told me to convert to a another format.
> So I export the dxf into CoralCad and save and use it in dwg format.

Do you mean you had the exact same problem that curves were transferred but just snapping onto those curves was not working how you needed it?

Or was there a problem actually transferring the curves over? If so then that's a different problem.

Some programs will not read "SPLINE" type entities from DXF files, if you run into a program like that, you can change the option in MoI at export time to export curves as Polylines rather than as spline curves, it's the option here:

When you set that you should then get things to go through, but the curves will be converted into a polyline made up of a bunch of line segments instead of staying as a true smooth curve. That's fairly likely to be what happened anyway when you imported and exported from CoralCad.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All