Surface Pro 3

Next
Hi all,
I've searched forums a little bit about Surface Pro 3 problems and didn't find one that really applied to me. I have a SP3 with windows 8.1. It has 8GB of RAM and runs everything nice and quick. However, when I try to use MOI, its common to have the views go completely grey as soon as I try to scale something as simple as a small polyline. At first I thought it was because I was using 2560x1440 resolution. However, even dropping it to HD didn't do the trick.

Any thoughts? I basically use the SP3 for MS Office, Krita, and I've recently installed 3dStudio (yes, 3DS can give the system a run for its money, but I'm just using it to learn). Other than that, the SP3 doesn't have much on it.

Thanks

Dave S
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7686.2 In reply to 7686.1 
Oh, and I am running extended displays. I tried it with duplicated displaces on a lower res, but ran in to similar issues.

Thx
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7686.3 In reply to 7686.1 
Hi Dave - if you turn off multithreading in the display engine it should fix that, it seems that the video driver with the surface 3 is sensitive to multiple threads being used.

See here for how to set it: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7385.3 , you need to edit moi.ini and set DisplayThreadLimit=1 in there.

Please let me know if that improves things for you.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7686.4 In reply to 7686.3 
Hi Michael,

I made the edit and checked for driver updates as well (it turns out I had the latest version). I'm still having the problem. I'm able to duplicate it. MOI seems to work great until I draw 2 curves and then join them. If I try any sort of mirror or copy command afterwards, that's when I run in to trouble.

As a side note, it's interesting that after I have the issue, IE slows for a few moments down to the point where I am typing this post much faster than the characters are appearing on the screen. However, if I test other programs (word, windows explorer, Firefox, powergrep, etc) they seem to respond properly. I checked task manager and it seems to show no resource issues.

Any more thoughts? :-)

Thanks

Dave S
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7686.5 In reply to 7686.4 
Hi Dave, sorry no other ideas on what might be going wrong. It sounds probably video driver related though.

I would have thought setting DisplayThreadLimit=1 in moi.ini would have got you going, sorry that is not the case.

If you've already purchased MoI and are not able to use it please let me know and I will send you a refund.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7686.6 In reply to 7686.5 
Michael,

No worries. I've been onboard with MOI since 2010 and it's too awesome to let a driver issue stop me. I'll just put it on my desktop for a while and check back with the driver issue at another time.

Thanks for the help.

Dave S.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hey Michael,

Upgrading my surface pro 3 to windows 10 seems to have fixed the issue. I think it updated the driver because the driver date looks a couple of months newer. I wonder if the driver installed by windows 10 would work on 8.1 for those other surface pro users. anywho... It works in windows 10 ... : )

Thanks

DS
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7686.8 In reply to 7686.7 
That's great news DS!