Trail Version will not start up.

Next
Hello,

I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase moi 3d or not. Unfortunately whenever i try to boot up the trail version, it crashes. If anyone has suggestions on how to solve this problem, please let me know. I've already tried uninstalling and re installing moi 3d , as well as run admin.

Not sure if this will help but my specs are

windows 10
16 gb ram
i7 5700
gt 970m

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7663.2 In reply to 7663.1 
Hi Dan,
Is your graphics card a GeForce GTX 970M Dedicated Graphics for Laptops?

Is it a recent laptop model?

Just a guess, but maybe update the graphics driver?

- Brian

At http://www.geforce.com/drivers, I see new drivers dated 10/7/2015 and 9/22/2015, but
I have no personal experience with them.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7663.3 In reply to 7663.2 
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I tried the graphics card update. Unfortunately it did not work.

Yes I got the laptop recently.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7663.4 In reply to 7663.1 
Hi Dan - sorry you're having problems with MoI. That's unfortunately an unusual problem to have and so I'm not sure what's wrong.

When it crashes, is there a crash dump file created? That would be a file named moi_report1.zip, moi_report2.zip, etc... - if any of those crash dump files are created please send them to me at moi@moi3d.com since they might give a clue as to what is going wrong.

If you're running an anti-virus system it could be possible that is interfering with MoI, try temporarily disabling it or also try using the alternate "No save" trial version on the downloads page and see if that behaves any differently than the 30-day trial version.

You might also look at your video driver settings and see if a function called something like "Threaded optimization" has been turned on - if so try turning that off and see if that makes any difference.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7663.5 In reply to 7663.4 
Hey Michael

Interesting, the "no save version" worked. One of the main features I wanted to test out in the 30 day trail version was the export quality (iges to poly export). Planning on rendering via Octane/Modo. So far the iges import is accurate and I like what I see.

The "no save version trail" wont let me export out an obj. Any way we can work around this so I can try it out before I make the decision to purchase?

Thanks for the prompt reply by the way.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7663.6 In reply to 7663.5 
Hi Dan - so if the "no save" version works ok for you then it's most likely a problem with your virus checker. The 30-day trial is protected by a system called WinLicense, which makes the program harder for hackers to reverse engineer to remove the trial time limit. At least one virus checking program (ESET) has a tendency to just blindly mark any program wrapped with WinLicense as a virus and so that's probably what's happening to you.

The full release version (and the "no save" trial version) is not wrapped with WinLicense either, so you probably would not run into this problem with the full version.

In order to test the export you would need to run the 30-day trial on some other machine that's not using ESET, or temporarily turn off your virus checker so that it will let MoI run instead of interfering with it.

Hope this helps,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7663.7 In reply to 7663.6 
Hey,

Did some research on the exporter instead(didn't have time to mess with firewall). People have said good things about it, so I decided to purchase Moi a couple days ago.

The exporter works great! Still trying to optimize settings for Modo/ Octane Render but so far quads and triangle export works most consistent. I would like to use the ngon export but there was 1 distorted polygon left near the edge of a boolean'd surface with complex curvatures.

Thanks for the help again and great software.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7663.8 In reply to 7663.7 
Thanks Dan, I'm glad that the exporter is working well for you!

N-gon export should work well for Modo but for Octane you'll probably need to use Quads & Triangles instead - some rendering programs don't deal with complex n-gons very well and have problems converting them to triangles. If you run into that you'll have to use Quads & Triangles export instead.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All