Plotting airfoil points form NACA coordinates

Next
Hi All, just recently discovered MOI (looks cool), but am a total novice at this and any other CAD program. I need to plot a bunch of points describing airfoil upper and lower curves from some data I cooked up. What I have is what amounts to a series of x, y coordinates that describe significant parts of two curves. What I'm hoping to accomplish is plotting these points somehow and then letting MOI more or less smooth or somehow turn each of those series of points into two seperate curves representing the upper and lower parts of a basic airfoil that I can then Give a bit of width to, add some strategic notches for Balsa stringers and so on, hopefully ending with an object I can then somehow export into an stl file I can print with my 3d printer to have a nice template I can use repeatedly to fabricate all of the ribs needed for a glider.

THigns I've tried that haven't netted me success:
1. Use polyline in the hopes that at each point I might be able to adjust the x,y coordinates relative to the origin: don't look like I can make those sorts of adjustments via any kind of dialog. Will I need to manually try and place the points?
2. I didn't see Any sort of point draw object. Thoguth about using circles, but that struck me as not what I'd want ot do as points != circles.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I might better approach this or similar tasks where I have raw x, y coordinates (relative to 0,0 origin) and want to get a curve out of that?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7628.2 In reply to 7628.1 
Hi John,
Maybe first check to see if Hamish's script allows you to input the information you are looking at for your project. (He did a pretty nice job)

The last script is here:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7265.21

Look for the zip file with the generator plugin in it.....

MoI has a point command, it is under "curve tools, more.....

You can also import point coordinate files....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7628.3 In reply to 7628.1 
Hi John, also there is a plug-in which you can install which can read in a text file with one x,y point per line and build a curve out of it. It can build either a polyline, an interpolated smooth curve which is forced to pass directly through the points or a control point curve which will use the point as the control polygon hull for the curve which will make for a kind of smoothing effect.

The plug-in is available here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ImportPointFile

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 7628.4 deleted 27 Nov 2016 by BEMFARMER

Previous
Next
7628.5 In reply to 7628.4 
Hi Michael,

Is ImportPointFile script compatible with V3?

Thanks

Mik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7628.6 In reply to 7628.5 
Hi Mik,

re:
> Is ImportPointFile script compatible with V3?

I'm pretty sure it is if you get the latest one which is here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/display.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5124.2

That one should work on either Mac or Windows MoI v3 I think. Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7628.7 In reply to 7628.6 
Hi Michael,

I had problem with script from http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ImportPointFile

Script from your post is OK.

Thank you very much.

Mik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All