Unable to chamfer simple edges

Next
Hi there,
I'm having a problem that it's driving me crazy.
I am attaching the model, the edges to be chamfered are named "Edges to be chamfered", somehow I cannot chamfer them, I would like to chamfer with a 0.2 radius.
Any tips?
Regards,
Max.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7627.2 In reply to 7627.1 
Hi wastzzz,

I suppose that chamfer engine has problem with some of model area, see figure below please and this thread http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7437.1

I've created new cutting curve > boolean diff

and then chamfer 0.2 mm

3DM attached.

Hope this helps.

Mik

EDITED: 20 Sep 2015 by MIKULAS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7627.3 In reply to 7627.1 
Hi Max, also check out this link here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3557.5 for another description why that type of arrangement ("crossing" edges meeting up at a single juncture between 2 curved surfaces) is more difficult to fillet or chamfer than you might think - usually there will be a kind of tiny fillet piece trying to be created at the juncture area.

It can be better in a case like this for the cutting surfaces to have their edge endpoints fall directly on the other edges making those juncture areas which then yield little fillet segments.

In the meantime one way that may be possible for you to get the chamfers is to use surface/surface chamfering to build some chamfer surfaces and then cut those to try and fit them into place. Surface/surface chamfering or filleting is when you separate the object into individual surfaces and then select just 2 surfaces at a time and then run Fillet or Chamfer. That can generate a surface in cases where the edge based one gets confused by how to deal with pieces colliding into one another.

I've attached a version here where I've done surface/surface chamfering to build chamfer surfaces where you wanted them, but if you inspect their ends you'll see how each piece overshoots the other, it's this shallow overshoot that is difficult for the edge based filleter to deal with when it tries to intersect them with each other. Intersecting surfaces that meet in a shallow angle tends to be difficult, there's more of a sort of "zone of overlap" than a crisply defined intersection curve.

If the cutting objects endpoints were kind of staggered with the other outer surface's ends rather than directly on them it can be an easier situation to fillet.

Anyway hope this helps to explain why it's more difficult than it seems.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7627.4 In reply to 7627.1 
Hi Max, also here is another solution for you - the attached version should be able to chamfer those edges ok for you now.

In this version I have reconstructed the narrow strip to be just one long single surface rather than being made up of many different surface pieces. This significantly simplifies fillets and chamfers since they won't have the same kind of juncture problems as on your original surface.

To get the strip as a single surface, I deleted the existing strip, selected naked edges and ran Edit > Join to get 2 long closed curves. Then I ran Rebuild with a tolerance of 0.001 on those curves to make a new version that was fused into one single simple curve rather than having separate segments in it.

Then with the fused curve I did a loft between them to make a new single strip surface, and relocated the seam points in loft to a perp/perp line that I had drawn in at the top.

With this simplified object structure with less fragmented surfaces you should be able to chamfer it ok now.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ciao Max

Copy your revolve curve and rebuid

do an offset to get the tickness

revolve and rebuild also the cutting curve

now you can chamfer your "seam free" solid

M
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks for the great support.
I managed to do it!
Between the two methods, I preferred to reconstruct that thin polysurface in just one single surface, then it worked like a charm.

Max.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All