rotate/scale combination

Next
this probably has been discussed before, but I wouldn't know how to search for it.

I want to do a repetition of spheres, where each next sphere is rotated around an external point and scaled down a bit. every rotational angle is also scaled, e.g. the first one is 10 deg, the next (10 * 0.8) deg, then (10 * 0.8 * 0.8) deg etc. Same for the scaling, first 10 mm, second 10 * 0.8 mm, third 10 * 0.8 * 0.8 mm etc.

the result looks like the image below.

I need several long series of objects like this, and it is a tedious job to do it all manually. is there a way to automate it?

thanks
wim
Image Attachments:
Size: 67.8 KB, Downloaded: 16 times, Dimensions: 549x333px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7622.2 In reply to 7622.1 
Hi Wim, one options is to use Transform > Orient > Line to Line. That lets you draw a base line spanning your original object, then you draw a series of lines and each line you draw creates a copy that is rotated by the angle between the new line and the base line and scaled by the difference in length between them. It's a quick way to do rotations and scaling in one operation.

The other option is you could draw a path curve and use Transform > Array > Curve to make full sized copies and then use the ScaleArray plug-in to scale them down. You can find it here: http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#ScaleArray

But neither of these would do only a very specific angle or scale factor for each step if that is absolutely needed. For very specific values you could look at modifying the "ScriptArray" plugin to have the particular behavior you need, it's here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5595.18

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks Michael, I will try them all.

wim
  Reply Reply More Options