New Jul-17-2007 beta available now
 1-15  16-35  36-50

Previous
Next
762.16 In reply to 762.14 
Hi 3dvisuals dude, I'm glad that MoI has worked to increase your productivity!

I'm glad that you're able to just "flow" with it and let your creativity take you in different directions quickly. That's definitely the idea behind it!

Re: reading OBJ files - I was thinking that one first step for this would be to bring the polygon mesh object into MoI just as a wireframe, with the edges of each polygon being a regular line object in MoI. Do you think that would be useful?

That would be a lot less difficult for me because it wouldn't introduce a new "polygon mesh object type" inside of MoI that would not interact well with the existing set of NURBS-focused tools.

I was thinking that at first I would probably create a stand-alone utility, like Obj23dmWireframe.exe, that could read an OBJ file and translate it into a wireframe .3dm file... If this sounds like it would be useful, I can give that a try in a little while after I get the documentation rolling along a bit.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.17 In reply to 762.15 
Yes I'm wondering myself since I've always used my systems under an administrator account!??

Granted with Vista, I had to disable user access control (to get XSI to run properly) but I'm still using an administrator account.

I couldn't get Rhino v2 to install properly on Vista so I removed it but there was still an >empty< .3DM key in the registry - after finally deleting it, the installer succeeded...

I don't know about silently failing that step because what if I do want to be able to dbl-click .3dm files and launch MOI?

I'm not even sure if a manual association would have worked in that case...

-Will

PS - Yes, I was going to suggest that Michael, if you could somehow create wireframes off of polygon objects that might be a nice idea.

I'll admit I've never got to the point of trying to use an existing poly object to model from (even Silo's topology tools have never been touched by me for any serious work) but I would think from the concept, that the wireframes should be all that's needed instead of pulling in the whole object (unless its really necessary to have that many points to snap to?)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.18 In reply to 762.17 
> I don't know about silently failing that step because what if I do
> want to be able to dbl-click .3dm files and launch MOI?

Yeah, that wouldn't work. But I think that there are a lot of people who wouldn't know what to do to fix it once the error dialog was displayed. For those people, they get a confusing dialog, and then after that, they still can't double-click a .3dm file to launch MoI anyway.

On the other hand, someone who knows how to go in and fix it will probably figure it out when they try to set up the association manually and it fails there too...

> I'm not even sure if a manual association would have worked in that case...

Yeah, I doubt it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
3dvisualsdude - If you have Rhino 3 or 4, import your mesh (no n-gons of course). Then run command "MeshToNurb". Copy the polysurface and paste into Moi. That should be a good workaround until Moi can support mesh or has the wireframe utility which Michael had mentioned...
jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.20 In reply to 762.16 
Hi Michael,

>Hi 3dvisuals dude, I'm glad that MoI has worked to increase your productivity!
>I'm glad that you're able to just "flow" with it and let your creativity take you in different directions quickly. That's definitely >the idea behind it!
>

Well now I'm not only happy I'm happy that you're happy! ;^)

I often wonder if other folks have the same experience with M.O.I. that I do in this regard. From the very first time I used M.O.I. back in the Fall of last year I have nearly always had this same experience... I stare for a second at the blank M.O.I. workspace, reach for a Primitive Tool or a Line Tool, draw a few objects in random 3D space or draw a random freeform sketch line somewhere in 3D space, and then examine the result for a few seconds rotating around in the 3D viewport until something "emerges" in my mind's eye from whatever is there... it's really a liberating experience for my imagination.

Here I am with perhaps 300 3DM files created in M.O.I. over the last few months, and only 5 of those were actually the outcome of a pre-conceived model I had in mind before opening up M.O.I.! It's quite amazing when you consider that I have been 3D Modeling constantly since the very early ' 90's and have never in all that time and in spite of using hundreds of other 3D programs been able to create such freeflowing imaginative works from scratch as I always do with M.O.I.! There is just no other 3D program like it in my book at all, the "minimalist approach" to the interface design is probably the key, having a completely uncluttered workspace and stylus-friendly intuitive toolsets just frees one's creativity in unprecedented ways!

Thanks for keeping M.O.I. "minimalist" in this way, it's a brilliant approach and profoundly appreciated by me every day!

>Re: reading OBJ files - I was thinking that one first step for this would be to bring the polygon mesh object into MoI just as a >wireframe, with the edges of each polygon being a regular line object in MoI. Do you think that would be useful?
>
>That would be a lot less difficult for me because it wouldn't introduce a new "polygon mesh object type" inside of MoI that >would not interact well with the existing set of NURBS-focused tools.
>
>I was thinking that at first I would probably create a stand-alone utility, like Obj23dmWireframe.exe, that could read an OBJ >file and translate it into a wireframe .3dm file... If this sounds like it would be useful, I can give that a try in a little while after >I get the documentation rolling along a bit.
>
>- Michael
>

WOW!!!! This would be absolutely GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, since the imported OBJ model is only being used as a 3D Reference Model for subsequent NURBS additions it wouldn't matter at all that the model was wireframe-only just as long as we would all be able to bring our OBJ models into M.O.I. without a lot of related fuss!

Granted, we can now bring models into M.O.I. via IGES but my experience with that import format in M.O.I. so far has been a nightmare (ie: hundreds of redundant duplicate lines, inability to properly convert models to IGES prior to M.O.I. import, etcetera) and just the added time of trying to use other programs to properly convert polygonal models to IGES itself is a hindrance I tend to avoid at all costs!

Being able to bring OBJ models into M.O.I. as wireframes would definitely be a huge workflow blessing for me and probably everybody else here too! I must have at least 6000 OBJ format models I've made over the years and being able to play with those in any fashion within M.O.I. would open up huge time-saving capabilities for me on new projects!!!

I really did mean what I said earlier too about how Poser folks at the Usenet's "alt.binaries.3d.poser" would love this too, and I promise you this, if you make this possible for us all I'll post some awesome (non-spam) threads there showing those folks directly what M.O.I. could do to make their Poser Pipeline a genuine delight!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Just when I think you've already made my week you go and do it again Michael!!! When you do officially launch Version 1 be sure to send us all a "snail mail address" first, because I suspect there's a few other folks here besides me who'd like to send you a bottle of champagne when that day finally comes! You've most certainly earned it! ;^)

Thank you!

- 3dvisuals dude
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.21 In reply to 762.20 
Hi Michael,

Thank you for having the vision to create MoI and for all the hard work you've put into it thus far.
As far as I'm concerned, you've set a new standard for 3D modeling programs,

Regards,
Jesse
jdkjewelry3d.blogspot.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.22 In reply to 762.21 
Thanks Jesse!

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the nice jewelry that will be designed with it!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael,

Thank you so much for your hard work, and for this excellent application.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael !
All I want to say to you is thank you !
Its been a real pleasure for me
to work with the beta !
I LOVE MOI !
Thank you so much for your support on this forum.
I will be one of the first to be with 1.0
If we can help with some ideas for the documentation
it would be a pleasure ; )
The standalone importer would be a good idea too..... as
I have tried the other ones and mesh to solid is to expensive and
OBJ to 3dm does not work with Mois 3d.
Thank you very much
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A great job as always!
So, we're very close to 1.0!
Take you time now, documentation is even more important than the program itself for NURBS newbies like me.

***There is always a better way to do things... Just find your Moment of Inspiration***

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Great stuff!

just waiting for release version
Thankyou Micheal ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Great update! I love this software, its a nice alternative for Rhino, its also much more visually appealing, and it is easier to use.
Now some things would be nice to have like Layers and a Scene Tree. Also, I would like to be able to edit all the shortcuts. Those would be my most wanted futures for the next update. I can't wait to buy the actual release.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello:

Spanish translation ready!
Enjoy it :-)

Bye!
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.29 In reply to 762.1 
Congratulations Michael.

Really thank you for your attentions because you have been very attentive with our suggestions
This is the first time that I participate in a forum and it has been a pleasant experience
When you have the definitive or commercial version you make it know.

Muchas felicidades y gracias por tu trabajo es fantastico (In Spanish).

Best regards

Juan Galvan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.30 In reply to 762.29 
Muchas gracias Juan!

I hope those axis labels are working well for you.

I meant to ask you - does the new beta still have the "script error" problem when you push the Hide button on your one computer? I included something in this last beta that I hoped might solve it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.31 In reply to 762.27 
Hi Val, thanks, I'm glad you like MoI!

You wrote:
> Now some things would be nice to have like Layers and a Scene Tree.

Yup, these are definitely big items remaining on the wish list. It will be quite a bit of work to do them properly, so those are not going to be a part of the 1.0 version of MoI. But I do expect to concentrate on a set of scene management tools like this for version 2.0.

> Also, I would like to be able to edit all the shortcuts.

This one is possible in the current version, go to Options (in the lower-right of the screen) / Shortcut keys.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.32 In reply to 762.30 
Hi Michael:

The problem this resolved one whenever is the administrator of the pc who uses the program
but with other users it presents the flaw I check that it is a problem of the pc.

To include the axes great solution

Thanks for their attention

Juan Galvan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.33 In reply to 762.32 
Thanks Juan - is this behavior (ok for administrator and not for limited user) the same behavior as the previous beta? Or did the previous beta also not work for administrator on that machine?

I mean, has there been any changes for this issue since the last beta?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
762.34 In reply to 762.33 
Hi Michael:

Unfortunately it follows the problem with other user but with the administrator not
even in the new beta.

Now to the moment to apply some action it sends this warning Why?
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Just thought I'd Thank you for allowing me to participate in the Beta testing of MoI, it's been a real joy for me!
Congratulations on a great program & a job well done!!
Looking forward to the release of V1 & purchasing the finished product.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-15  16-35  36-50