Cross section plane

Next
Hi Michael,

MoI is a great product! Now using the 30 day trail, but did first some experimenting with the no-save version. Coming from modelling with Sketchup!, it's like the clouds have gone away and the sun started shining! I was really amazed both by the result and the fact that I didn't came across MoiI earlier.

I'm using a boolean script in Sketchup!, but most of the time the geometry gets broken (e.g holes). Also extruding bend surfaces with a script in Sketchup! is not going well. MoI does a far better job with it's "Boolean"- and "Shell"-construction options.

When doing some modelling I wondered if there is a way to create a cross section plane? If not, what would you suggest as a alternative?

Thanks!

Menno
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7615.2 In reply to 7615.1 
Hi Menno, I'm glad that you are liking MoI!

For cross sections, you can generate cross-section curves by drawing in a line and using Consruct > Curve > Project to project the line onto the object.

The arrangement of lines would look like this example here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4295.3

Then you can run Construct > Planar on those curves to generate a planar surface instead of just curves, or another alternative to generate planes more directly is to draw in the same lines and use them with Construct > Boolean > Intersection - internally to the boolean the lines will extrude out to planes and the boolean intersection of a plane with a solid will be a section plane.

Hope that helps!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7615.3 In reply to 7615.2 
Well, actually I mean something else. Idealy I would like to have a temporary cross section "view". One that can slice through the solids at a certain plane (x, y or z), without destroying the geometry. When the view is not needed any more, the view should be removed and the model should return in it's normal state.

I hope I'd explained it more clearly this time. If it's not possible consider it a challenge for the next version... :-)

Thanks,
Menno
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7615.4 In reply to 7615.3 
Hi Menno - I understand now.. But sorry no MoI does not currently have a view-only cross section tool like that. It is something that I want to add in the future but I'm not sure exactly when it will happen.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7615.5 In reply to 7615.4 
+1.
This feature is really useful, it's some sort of gpu modifier as far as I know.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All