Unicode charactor

Next
 From:  BurrMan
7614.1 
Hi Michael,
I'm using an ʻOkina in my model naming conventions and the naming is getting truncated in my export files.....

Is there anyway for me to address this? I didn't want to change my entire "UI" font to something, but I also don't think it is that, as the UI and each particular browser area is supporting it.. The error is showing itself in the OBJ output files.....

Here is a row of ʻOkinas to test.

ʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻʻ

Thanks,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
 From:  Michael Gibson
7614.2 In reply to 7614.1 
Hi Burr - unfortunately that's a fundamental limitation of .obj files. OBJ format was designed maybe around 1990 or so, it basically predates the use of unicode and only supports plain ascii characters.

So that's just how .obj files work, they just can't contain unicode characters in them.

I do not know of any way to address it since it's a limit inherent in the file format. If you need every object name or style name character to come through into .obj format you would need to avoid having unicode characters in your names, sorry.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
 From:  DannyT (DANTAS)
7614.3 In reply to 7614.1 
Hi Burr,

It's amazing what you learn everyday, if you didn't mention this I, and probably many others, wouldn't of known what an Okina was and the fact that this little symbol is part of the Hawiian alphabet.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
 From:  BurrMan
7614.4 In reply to 7614.2 
Thanks Michael. I'll add Them at the receiving end...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
 From:  BurrMan
7614.5 In reply to 7614.3 
Hey Danny,
Sure! You'd be surprised at how many people even here don't really know about it.... Every year we have contractors have to redo some big project because someone used an apostrophe in it's place...

Right now, the Hōkūleʻa is finishing up the longest leg of the worldwide voyage. My childhood friend Bruce is the PWO Navigator on this leg.

Talk later.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
 From:  futagoza (STEFAN)
7614.6 In reply to 7614.5 
Very interesting,

i tried it too with MoI and it exported nothing under OS X. Then i tried it with Shade and it exported fine as .obj. Once the .obj was exported i used Text Wrangler to add the name manually in the o section and re-imported into Shade, which then showed the proper .obj name of the object in it's Browser.

Regards
Stefan

Edit: the .obj file name does not translate, when uploading to the forum.

EDITED: 30 Oct 2016 by STEFAN


  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged
 

Reply to All Reply to All