recessing a part

Next
I have a .375 part which needs to be recessed .125.
I'm attaching the drawing showing how I'm doing it. I'm sure there is a better way. Can you help please?

1/ I extruded main part -.375
2/ I created separate rectangle and marked over .125
3/ I extruded that rectangle -.25

4/ How can I remove the lines pointed to in LH_side plate_3.3dm.
5/ I hide the rectangle line on the top recess but not on the bottom recess.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7612.2 In reply to 7612.1 
Hi Marv,

use boolean union
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7612.3 In reply to 7612.1 
Hi Marv, yes like Max writes you can use Boolean union to get rid of those edges.

Right now you've got 3 separate solids - if you select them and then run Construct > Boolean > Union they will be combined together into one solid and the edges that you don't like at the coplanar areas will automatically be eliminated after the boolean union because a part of how boolean union works is that when it merges objects together it looks for coplanar pieces in the result and merges them together into single larger planes.

Your overall method for producing the recessed parts is totally fine, you're just missing the final step of unioning the pieces together.

The other way you could go about doing it is to make a full width piece to begin with and then create a cutting object and use it in boolean difference to cut out the part you don't want. But I think probably your current approach is actually easiest.

In the future I want to add some functionality to boolean difference to allow a "depth limited" cut from a curve, but that's not available as of yet and so you need to extrude out any cutting objects to your desired cut depth. In the future when I do have a "depth limited" option for boolean difference that will make the boolean difference alternate way more convenient.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All