Car Modeling

Next
Not really a tutorial, but a screencaptor Video of my screen how I build a car in moi, maybe it's interesting for anyone. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l7Uxwxzfik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.2 In reply to 7597.1 
Wow! AMAZING. Has to be one of the top models I've ever seen. So many questions... I need to think about how to correctly phrase them.

Thanks so much for sharing!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Subscribed to this topic.

Great work, I'll have Many questiosn also :).

Lewis
www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Very efficient!

Specific interest to be faraway the grid ?

EDITED: 6 Sep 2015 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.5 In reply to 7597.2 
OK, had a chance to start studying this video and your fine technique. A few questions:

1. From 1:48 to 1:54, (using slow motion playback on YouTube), exactly what is going on there? It appears you've built some surfaces, then joined them, then separated them, then rebuilt one of them. What is the reason for this?

2. Have you had a chance to render this model yet, and if so, how did it render? I'm interested to know if there are any serious continuity artifacts.

3. How long did it take you to model this? It seems like you made very few mistakes-- or at least they were all edited out. Did you ever refer back to the original template drawings, or was the rest created by eyeball?

Thanks for any light you can shine on this! :-)

EDITED: 6 Sep 2015 by CHIPPWALTERS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Great modeling Technics with moi.

Very interesting to follow.

Thank you for sharing.

[Denis]

| Carrara Pro 8.5 | Cinema 4D Prime R15 | CorelDraw X6 | Moi 3D v2 | Lightwave 3D 11.6 |
| My work |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.7 In reply to 7597.5 
Hello,

1.sometimes the patches are joined not good with the network command, then I must try it with sweeps or something, until it joins perfect.

3. I can't really say how long it takes, I have created the basesplines and cutsplines long time before, I capture the Video, with try and error methode, the videospeed 10 times faster as normal. When you need clean patches and they must matched perfect together, you must go step by step with try and error.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.8 In reply to 7597.7 
Thanks! Good rendering. Very helpful. Do you use REBUILD and SHRINKSRFS a lot when connecting patches? In particular, when extracting a spline for creating a pipe for later trimming surfaces for a blend operation (manual fillet), do you rebuild the spline first, or use it exactly as extracted?

Michael, perhaps you can weigh in on this one. Would a blend using the above manual fillet (http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4607.5) technique benefit from a rebuld for the originating path spline-- or does it even matter?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.9 In reply to 7597.8 
Hi Chipp,

re:
> Michael, perhaps you can weigh in on this one. Would a blend using the above manual fillet
> (http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4607.5) technique benefit from a rebuld
> for the originating path spline-- or does it even matter?

You mean building a pipe surface using a one rail sweep?

For a sweep the number of control points in the rail does not directly have much to do with the generated sweep - sweep adds in profiles until the sweep surface matches the procedural sweep to within 0.001 tolerance. It's an iterative refinement process, the rail curve's control point structure doesn't directly relate to the generated sweep.

If the rail curve has very uneven parameterization, that case might be good for doing a refit of the rail curve first.

But if you say have a rail curve with 5 control points and one with 500 control points both with the same shape and parameterization they will both give the same sweep result, the 500 control point one does not automatically mean you'll have a more complex sweep unless it is also at the same time a lot more wiggly in shape than the 5 control point one.

Not sure if that answers your question or not...

For some other construction methods like extrude it's a different case, for extrusion the generated extrude surface does directly inherit the structure of the input curve.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.10 In reply to 7597.8 
I use rebuild or reconstruct particular for the fillet-sweep-splines, for the patch connecting I need the normal edges of the patches, without any rebuild.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.11 In reply to 7597.9 
"if you have a rail curve with 5 control points and one with 500 control points both with the same shape and parameterization they will both give the same sweep result"

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.12 In reply to 7597.10 
"I use rebuild or reconstruct particular for the fillet-sweep-splines, for the patch connecting I need the normal edges of the patches, without any rebuild."

Thanks for that. That's pretty much how I do it now. Much appreciated!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7597.13 In reply to 7597.1 
You are avisuospatial genius! I remember a thread on this forum in which the possibility of making a car in Moi was discussed. You have settled the argument.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7597.14 In reply to 7597.1 
could you share your blueprints ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options