189MB to big?

Next
Hello dear Moi3D Users, are 189MB to big? I work on a 3D Modell - and my FileSize is 189MB big, but I see that moi3d is becoming very slow - so I need to made a smaller file / a model with less deatails?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7572.2 In reply to 7572.1 
Hi Lordfox, well it depends a lot on the particular stuff that is making up the 189MB. If it's all little tightly curved things that will take a lot more memory for the display.

One thing that would help is to reduce the display mesh density. By default MoI makes a fairly dense display mesh which makes surfaces look nice and smooth but which can also slow things down on heavier models.

Try going to Options > View > "Meshing parameters" (at the top), and then set "Mesh angle" to 25 degrees and uncheck "Add detail to inflections".

That will make for a somewhat coarser looking shaded surface display but it will significantly reduce the amount of triangles that are being processed for the display and will probably speed things up.

If that doesn't help then I'd recommend splitting your file up into a few separate chunks and work on one of those at a time instead of all at once.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
It is probably too big but I'd like to see is Progress bar when MOI is loading, If i double click to *.STP/*.IGS file it's assigned to MOI but when i open large files (70--100mb) i see nothign on screen for 40-50 seconds since MOI appears on screen only when it opens file. So only way to see is it even working is to open task manager and look at process memory usage and CPU usage while it's happening.

IMHO it should show GUI instantly and then progress bar for loading file so that user knows something is happening. I'ts not first time that i DoubleClicked file 2-3 times to later finout i have several MOI's in the task manager trying to open file :).

Thanks

Lewis
www.lewis.tomsoft.hr
www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7572.4 In reply to 7572.3 
Hi Lewis, that's something I definitely want to work on adding in. I've meant several times to start to work on a progress bar for large file loading but got side tracked every time so far...

Opening large STEP and IGES files is something you can do in MoI but things are not particularly optimized for that specifically as of yet.

The main focus for MoI right now is more about drawing simple things quickly and easily, so things like drawing tools have usually taken precedence for working on. But I do expect to work more on the large file handling aspect as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All