MoI Parametric.
 1-20  21-27

Previous
Next
you can also make some "save file" at several moments! ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7552.22 In reply to 7552.21 
Pilou,
Unfortunately "save file" at several moments is not so functional like Parametric Tree or Timline.
You can not go back and modify some features, you can not disable feature, you can not go back at some moment and create some feature in the past.
With Save you will confuse very fast if you want to use it like Parametric tree.
Any way Save is the only Parametric alternative now for MoI :)

Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Parametric modeling with some kind of history (or modifier stack kind, doesnt matter) would be nice. But for now for me going back and forth from Moi to Fusion is enough through STEP. So when I need some precise numbers, I import it later and continue to work. Fusion 360 is little bit clickfest in some cases, but it can be learned quickly.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi All,

I'm happy with MoI not being parametric, but...

I've been playing with OpenSCAD for the last few months as part of hacking the Mendel90 open source printer project. For someone more used to modelling interactively, (using MoI, OnShape, etc) it can require a frustratingly complex number of boolean commands to achieve something that in MoI would be straightforward.

Now that I appreciate the elegance of it's parametric abilities - and accept inherit limitations, I began to wonder if a similar, identical or extended version of the openSCAD language, (with interpreter to MoI script) might be a good basis on which to make MoI parametric, without bloating MoI itself into something it was never intended to be. David Morrill and possibly others, made some headway on this kind of scripting interface a few years ago; unfortunately these projects seemed to have evaporated. Does anyone know anything different?

From the 'about' page, this is how Open S CAD is described:
"OpenSCAD is not an interactive modeller. Instead it is something like a 3D-compiler that reads in a script file that describes the object and renders the 3D model from this script file. This gives you (the designer) full control over the modelling process and enables you to easily change any step in the modelling process or make designs that are defined by configurable parameters."

Cheers,
Hamish
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Indeed you must write some lines! ;)
http://www.openscad.org
A French tutorial ;)
http://fablab-lannion.org/wp-content/tutos/openscad/#/pageDeGarde
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7552.26 In reply to 7552.24 
Hi Hamish - in the future I would also like to add more support for scripting as a way of procedural object generation, which is indeed a form of parametric building but it has a high level of complexity for someone to learn. So it would likely be something that could optionally be used but not likely to be the only way to do parametric editing.

Parametric editing that is based off of editing things that you previously drew would probably be able to be used by a wider variety of people than one that required coding.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
"... but not likely to be the only way to do parametric editing."

Yes. Please take into consideration also something like the "Components" from Sketchup or Blocks from Rhino, or iLogic from Inventor. They are also very powerful parametric design approaches.

MoI can be more powerful than Sketchup (already is in many ways) but is drawn back by the lack of "components". Personally I think that if the MoI will have something similar to components will be a serious option for replacing Sketchup.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-27