script for grouping?

Next
I'm pretty blown-away by Max's ability to add dimensioning capability in a script! Great work!

It makes me wonder if someone can create a script that groups and un-groups objects. This is the OTHER major missing feature that I could really use in MOI.

I imagine such a script would create a boolean-union object from the group members that MOI would render normally, but would contain data hidden from MOI that would define all of the objects that make up the group. Un-grouping would simply delete the boolean-union object and replace it with the formerly hidden data.

Anyone up for this? (I might give it a try myself, after Burning Man.)

Many thanks!
Christopher

PS: This is what I've used MOI to make, for Burning Man:
http://pbase.com/schardt/firmament
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
7532.2 In reply to 7532.1 
Hi Christopher - I don't think it's possible currently, because when you boolean union 2 objects that don't touch, it's built into the booleans that such objects are automatically normalized and broken back out to be separate objects.

There is not currently any way set up such that 2 totally separate objects that do not touch each other can be combined together and select as if they were a single unit, that is going to require special support at a low level in the core selection code, it's not really something that can be scripted.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All