Can this bend be done in MOI3D?
All  1-6  7-11

Previous
Next
You guys do realise the bracket is bent at 90° to the bottom plane but skewed at an angle.

~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7530.8 In reply to 7530.7 
Hi Danny, yeah I guess so - I didn't know what angle it was bent to just looking at the screenshot.

That's why it is usually better to get a 3D model file so that the actual geometry can be examined from many different angles and zoom levels rather than just observing a screenshot alone...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7530.9 In reply to 7530.7 
I saw what I perceive as errors in the model/part listed and thought I would comment...

I don't thing you can "bend" metal this way without ruining it structurally.. So the part would be a "welded part"....

Here's a video of how I would model it:

Taking note of the last part of the video and the fillet that took a couple attempts....

In the other models, it seems the bottom part is being "brought back" to meet with the vertical part... I think this is an error and is creating a structurally weak point in the part....

Doing it as in the video keeps the dimension of the bottom part in tact.... The 2 parts would then be welded together....

Hard to tell from your sceengrab Danny, but it looks like your model may have this part modeled as in the video also?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7530.10 In reply to 7530.1 
Hi slipstick,

here is another one. I started with the the midsurfaces of the geometry (normally you have to use also a correction factor) without Radius. then I filleted the unjoined faces - you get an fillet with overrun. I connected the resulting edges of the trimmed faces with blend and projected the result with curve->Project->closesest Points to the fillet. Trimmed it with the curves and joined all faces together. With Offset in both directions I give the whole a thickness. I closed the outer sides with planar faces an Network. I've projected the edges of the midsurface to a plane that's normal to the fillet direction. Reconstructed the curve with 100 Points and unwraped it by script. Extruded both curves separatly to the same length so you can get an unbended view of the part using flow command:-)

I hope it may help you!

Kind regards
Karsten

EDITED: 15 Jun 2017 by KMRQUS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks to one and all. I learned a lot here with this.

I finally went with Michael's approach.

I am replicating a bracket that broke off of an engine.

It will be sent to a shop after it is dimensioned and they will make it out of bar stock, I imagine.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-11