Fillet&Blend issues
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
751.2 In reply to 751.1 
Hi Petr,

re: #1 curve/curve fillet
> Is it the intended effect?

I just hadn't really figured out yet how this should work, since a fillet between 2 curves is a bit of a different process than filleting an internal corner of a single curve. The fillet between 2 curves allows for curves to be extended linearly as part of the fillet process.

So for now if you select 2 curves it will do that curve/curve with possible extensions style, and you will only get the "internal corner" fillet style (where you select vertices to fillet) if you select just one curve to fillet.

Thinking about it a bit now, it seems like it would be possible to merge these methods together into one mechanism.

Here's what I am thinking - if you have 2 curves selected and there are no internal corners on either one (like 2 lines), then it would work the way it does now, using the sort of classic fillet with extension method.

If the 2 curves have internal corner points in them, then I could try to extend and intersect them, and then show that intersection vertex as a selectable point along with the other internal corner points. If you did not pick that extended intersection vertex as one to fillet, it would cancel the extension and only do the corners that you had selected. That way the vertex selection process would implicitly control whether you were doing the extension or not.

That seems like it would work as a more unified curve filleting method, and then that would make it possible to do internal corners on a multiple curve selection. Do you think this would work?

However, it will be a chunk of work to overhaul all of that, it will have to wait until after V1, but it would be nice to have a plan for it worked out.

re: #2 - prepick just one curve for blend or fillet.

This is easy to fix for blend, since it always requires 2 inputs to do anything. So I've adjusted the command script for blend for the next beta to look for a minimum of 2 curves before finishing the picking phase. But it is not so easy to fix for fillet, since there are several cases where it is valid to select just one object for filleting, so I'll have to leave that one as-is for now.

Thanks for the feedback, and let me know what you think about the potential new curve fillet method above.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
751.3 In reply to 751.2 
Hi Michael,

>>If you did not pick that extended intersection vertex as one to fillet,
>>it would cancel the extension and only do the corners that you had selected.

Do you mean it would be necessary to pick each internal corner points or select it by windowing to fillet all internal corners on multiple curve selection or it would work in the following way?
- picking at least one intersection vertex results in doing fillet only on it
- picking intersection vertex along with other internal corner(s) points results in doing fillet on each selected points
-picking at least one internal corner with no intersection vertex selection results in filleting those selected internal corner points
-pushing "Done" button without picking anything results in filleting all internal corner points
If I wanted to fillet the curves completely - both internal corners and intersection vertex points - I would have to select all of selectable points...

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
751.4 In reply to 751.3 
Hi Petr,

> - picking at least one intersection vertex results in doing fillet only on it

Yes. I think there would only ever be just one extension/intersection vertex, it would only appear for the case where you have picked 2 open curves to fillet, the ends closest to where you picked would get extended if the curves do not already intersect.

> - picking intersection vertex along with other internal corner(s) points
> results in doing fillet on each selected points

Yes.

> -picking at least one internal corner with no intersection vertex selection
> results in filleting those selected internal corner points

Yes, the extension/intersection point will not get filleted in this case and the extension (you would see the curve extension on the screen during the vertex selection process) would be canceled.

> -pushing "Done" button without picking anything results in filleting all internal corner
> points If I wanted to fillet the curves completely - both internal corners and intersection
> vertex points - I would have to select all of selectable points..

I was thinking if you pushed done without picking anything, it would always be equivalent to selecting all points. So that would mean if you had internal corners and an extension/intersection vertex, it would do all of those. If you only wanted to do internal corners and not the extension/intersection point, you would need to select all points except for that one. However, invert selection is available to use during this selection process so a shortcut would be to select the one point and do invert.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
751.5 In reply to 751.4 
Hi Michael,

Okay, that is clear. Now, you must only decide yourself if it is really worth making those changes in Fillet command for V2, because there wasn't originally something like a wish, but only question in my message... :)

Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
751.6 In reply to 751.5 
Hi Petr, I think it will be worthwhile to make this change when I can, because it will allow for filleting corner vertices on a multiple selection of numerous curves simultaneously. Right now you can only do corner vertices of a single curve at a time. It's nice to have things set up to be able to process a batch of a larger number of stuff if possible...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6