MoI V3 (Win) on USB stick?

Next
Hello Michael,

i work with MoI on my Mac but like to be able to use the Windows Version on a USB stick
(not at the same time, of course).

The old FAQ refers to MoI V1 installation. I like to use it on Windows 7, but since i'm a
Mac Dummie i don't know how to find the required license file etc., under Windows 7
german Version, to copy it over to a USB stick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7499.2 In reply to 7499.1 
Hi Stefan, so the first step is to copy the MoI installation folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\MoI 3.0 ) over to the USB stick.

Then to find your license key file and moi.ini file, open the Start menu (push the Start button or push the Win key on the keyboard), and then type in %AppData%\Moi and push Enter.

That will open up the folder where your moi_v3_license.key and moi.ini files are stored, copy those onto the USB key as well so they are in the same folder as MoI.exe . Also if your v3 license is an upgrade license type also copy your moi_v2_license.key file over as well.

Once you have copied those things over, you'll have everything set up to run MoI.exe directly from the USB stick when you plug it into the computer.

Hope this helps!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

thank you very much for your help! It works great! :-)

Best regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7499.4 In reply to 7499.3 
Hi Michael, working between a few machines here and before I work out what is going to be main machine , think moi on USB key is a great solution.

Does this method work on v4 beta / anything else I need to look out for?

Enjoy your weekend. (Low priority question)

- Stefano
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7499.5 In reply to 7499.4 
The only thing is that you must use Moi on only one device in the same time!
So not on computer, on a Latop, & on an USB stick on the same time !
But you can open any number sessions of Moi on this same device in the same time!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Moi French Site My Gallery My MagicaVoxel Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7499.6 In reply to 7499.4 
Hi Stefano, yes running from a USB key works the same in the v4 beta as in previous versions, the instructions above are still valid.

re:
> anything else I need to look out for?

If the USB key is pretty slow it can be a bit hiccupy when it needs to load a DLL or something from it if you run it directly off of the USB drive. But the hiccup will only happen once per DLL so after a couple of hiccups it will smooth out. If you run into that you might want to copy it over to anywhere on the hard drive and run it from there.

You can also just install the same MoI license on multiple machines just as long as only one of the installations is actively launched and running at a time. To do that use the same installer and same license key on each one and close MoI (exit the running program, not uninstall) on one machine before launching it on another.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7499.7 In reply to 7499.5 
HI Pilou, For now just me here and one machine at a time is fine! I'm just trying to avoid taking laptop to workshop and checking I dont need to move hidden folders etc. ...
I was thinking v4 might put some things in slightly different folders compared to v3.

Hi Michael, Once out of beta and I've consolidated a few systems in the workshop..I'll likely do the 2nd option.

EDITED: 19 Sep 2020 by LIGHTWAVE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All