Custom Pipe Command Wishlist

Next
HI just had a play with the PIPE command fantastic command - as a wishlist would be awesome tool if you could select a wireframe model and apply a custom shape to all the wireframe geometry at once I realise an issue with orientation of profile over network but possibly could have a magnetic attraction and repel mode to orientate the custom shape over the entire wireframe network.

Just food for thought
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
7469.2 In reply to 7469.1 
Hi Alex, the regular Construct > Sweep command can already be used for that. Draw your custom shape off to the side outside of the bounding box around the curves (to initiate "auto place" mode for the sweep as described in the video tutorials here: http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/tutorials.htm) , then select it and run Construct > Sweep. Then when it asks you to select rails select all your wireframe curves. That will then do a one-rail sweep with your profile on each rail curve, making a custom profiled tube over your curves.

Basically the Sweep command is the regular way of making tubular shapes, and takes a profile curve that you have drawn so it can be any shape you want. The Pipe command is a simplification of Sweep that just uses a circle for the profile shape with the circle being automatically created for you. So if you want the customized profile version just use the regular Sweep command.

Here's an example:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
7469.3 In reply to 7469.2 
Thanks Michael,

Pretty much what I was after - this was a quick trial is there a way to flip the orientation on just one of the members in the case of a large wireframe or would be to delete that one and run it independently.

Or example 2 I ran it with point ends to hide the misalignment.

But again an awesomely simple tool!

EDITED: 23 Dec 2023 by ALEXPOLO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All